Hi guys. My naughty KJ got a problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benji_KJ2003

Reaction score
My 2003 Liberty Sport got a problem with the brake system. I can smell something burning when I get down near the brake disks, after a ride around 10km. Can I get rid of this by adjusting the wheels?? Help, it drives me crazy. Thanks a lot.[/img]

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Have you checked to ensure you don't need new pads? ... What about using brake cleaner?

Are you sure it's the brakes? Even after riding the brake shard in a road race you shouldn't be abel to "smell" the brakes in most cars. A wheel bearing going out however will certainly give off a metallica burning smell.

You can usually spot a bad wheel bearing by simply shaking the wheel - naturally the wheel shouldn't move. If hte bearing is bad there might be some play in it. Jack the car up and give it a try.

benji_KJ2003

Reaction score
Thank you very much!

I went to the dealer today. they said the "Calibur"(I don't know how to spell) is broken and jamed. see the above photo.

VTjeepguy

Reaction score
had this problem a few months ago. i freed up the caliper and regreased it. seems to be ok now, but it did a number on my rotor...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VTjeepguy said:
had this problem a few months ago. i freed up the caliper and regreased it. seems to be ok now, but it did a number on my rotor...

haha, i would say so!

I usually try to clean and grease those little pins that let the caliper slide back and forth. I would say thats what locked up on ya. O:)

benji_KJ2003

Reaction score
thecause17 said:
I always have used caliper lube on brakes every time I've done them...I put it on the backside of the pads as well.

Today I bought "Brake Lube (ABS sensor harmless)" (forgot the brand name), applied it to all the calipers and brake discs. And you know what? The smell is gone!!!! Love my liberty! It was only $5. Talking about low budget huh \:D/

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
benji_KJ2003 said:
thecause17 said:
I always have used caliper lube on brakes every time I've done them...I put it on the backside of the pads as well.

Today I bought "Brake Lube (ABS sensor harmless)" (forgot the brand name), applied it to all the calipers and brake discs. And you know what? The smell is gone!!!! Love my liberty! It was only $5. Talking about low budget huh \:D/

Whoa, back up a little here...you actually put the lube on your discs and the pad surfaces? Please read the instructions, that's not what that stuff is for, do your brakes even work now? The lube is for the backside of the pads, not the side that touches the rotor, as well as the surface of the pistons on the caliper, which also touches the backside of the pads....if you put the lube on your rotors, then you made a big mistake.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
benji_KJ2003 said:
Well, too late. I've already made a mistake. ](*,)

hehe...think about it...your brakes are there to cause friction and STOP the wheels from moving. The last thing you want to do is reduce friction by lubing up the surface.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
benji_KJ2003 said:
Well, too late. I've already made a mistake. ](*,)

haha, it burns off in no time. Just brake really hard a few times and it will be fine. Be sure you have brakes before you go driving down the road though. O:)

Latest posts

Members online