Hi everyone.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronan_Miller

Reaction score
From South Africa and got a 2003 KJ recently. I would to make it suitable to camping and what not. Considering putting in a drawer system and roof rack in the future. But I would like to know what are the first modifications you all would recommend and what parts would you recommend being replaced or being serviced since its so old. Thank you guys. P.S. Please give amy measurements in metric if possible.

Docnoisewater

Reaction score
From South Africa and got a 2003 KJ recently. I would to make it suitable to camping and what not. Considering putting in a drawer system and roof rack in the future. But I would like to know what are the first modifications you all would recommend and what parts would you recommend being replaced or being serviced since its so old. Thank you guys. P.S. Please give amy measurements in metric if possible.
Hello and welcome!

First one…. Suspension if it hasn’t already!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would start with al fluids, front to rear , proper HOAT coolant , and no mention if gas or diesel, but if gas proper NGK spark plugs, filters
Check CV on front driveshaft , they go bad by 70-80,000 miles, all ball joints, lowers are prone to wear especially
Just a good going over
and like mentioned suspension, middle of wheel ( hub ) to lower part of flare in front was 19 inches new (482.6 mm ) if below that new springs and shocks
and if the roads are like Tanzanias you will need an upgrade :)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
Is your KJ a 4x4 petrol with a 3.7? Automatic trans? How many Km on Jeep Now?
Re fluids refer to owners manual do you have one?
Get your free build sheet here by typing in your VIN# to see if your Jeep has a Trac-Lok based rear differential. https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing
If it does have a trac-lok rear diff, you will need to add a 4 oz bottle of Mopar friction modifier. Use dino gear oil -no synthetics.

Ronan_Miller

Reaction score
I will definitely be upgrading my suspension.
Thanks for all the tips and advice. Will be going through all the fluids and checking everything out.

My Jeep is a 2003 3.7 Limited Edition. Automatic with roughly 220000 km's on it.
It also has a few issues I forgot to ask about. One is it has an oil leak but we are uncertain from where. We believe it may be the gearbox. Then we dont believe it has airbags or a horn. So any ideas on what it might be and any notes I should take on fixing these issues

I forgot to also mention that I am 18 and finishing highschool this year. This will be the first car I am ever tackling to fix and build up. So if you have any good videos on how to do any of the things you all mention I would much appreciate it and even maybe a few good quality brands I can look for when searching for shocks, springs, tires etc.
Please excuse my car that looks bad its still getting there.
It will be much appreciated.
You must be registered for see images attach

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Oil leaks of any kind can be sometimes difficult to find.
Best to use an engine de-greaser product, then a good power wash. Hopefully you will then see where it's leaking from.

Why do you believe that it has no air bag/horn?
The Air bag system has a self check.
When you turn the key to ignition on (without starting) you should see the air bag light on in cluster, and then go out shortly afterwards.
If air bag light stays on, you do have an issue.

If you do any electrical work on Jeep always remove & isolate both battery cables away from battery posts.
If you do any any air bag /electrical= Remove both battery cables & clamp or tape them together for 45 minutes away from battery posts to drain capacitance.
Here is your 2003 factory service manual to study up on. see section 8 O under restraints. http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2003JeepKJServiceManual.pdf

Ronan_Miller

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Thats the reason why I believ I have no horn and or airbags. The airbags light does not come on at all and we have replaced all the fuses so far. Then the horn just does not work at all so I assume the airbag compartment thingy majig* (dont know the terms, sorry) is either not connected at all or we dont have one but I was told it is best not to mess around with a airbag compartment without proper guidance or knowing they wont work.

Ronan_Miller

Reaction score
Also thank you for the servuce manual. Never heard of this before and will definitely come in handy.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just a word of advice
Take it slow, buy good quality parts even if it means saving up for a few weeks / months
In the end it will be way better than buying cheap parts today which will fail or cause more issues later
Just like suspension, OME or Ironman second
shocks, OME or Bilstein
Too many jump in just wanting their ride to have the look but sacrificing ride, handling and long term effects

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, tackle one issue at a time following advice given on this site by most participants. It shouldn't take much reading to realize who knows from experience and who just thinks they're smart. Answers won't always be sugar coated but they will be the correct answer. And also 25.4mm=1inch for your converting pleasure.

Ronan_Miller

Reaction score
I have another question. I dont know how to tell what aftermarket upgrades will fit on the car. For example I dont know what to look for when looking for suspension to know if it will fit on the liberty. I know it isnt a major concern right now but would just like to know for future sake and so I can look what I need to budget for.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of right now the best suspension for these is from OME, they don't necessarily put out a kit/package, mainly springs and shocks. Bilstein shocks are also great. You'll find kits from others, but for the most part they are a waste of time and money, many have learned the hard way. Im glad I listened and did right the first time. Check out the faq in the lift section on this site to get started.

Ronan_Miller

Reaction score
As of right now the best suspension for these is from OME, they don't necessarily put out a kit/package, mainly springs and shocks. Bilstein shocks are also great. You'll find kits from others, but for the most part they are a waste of time and money, many have learned the hard way. Im glad I listened and did right the first time. Check out the faq in the lift section on this site to get started.
Thanks
Will have a look

John Wewege

Reaction score
Hi Ronan

Some suggestions/recommendations:
1) Upgrade of suspension - I use Ironman suspension with EFS shocks - a cost effective solution. Select the medium suspension load setting otherwise the ride is far too harsh and bumpy.
2) Fit a nudge bar (with a led light bar) in stead of a bull bar that is far to bulky and heavy
3) Retain the 16 inch steel wheel rims, but fit 2457016T All Terrain tyres. Steel rims are much more durable that chrome wheels. No need for larger than 16 inch rims/tyres, as it is more costly and wider wheels results in the vehicle getting bogged down in sand and mud.
4) Fit a medium size roof rack with a weight capacity of no more than 75kg, because the max payload capacity of of the window/door pillars and roof rack slide rails is about 70 kg.
5) Use a LED replacement light bulbs for the headlights (I think it is H7 or H9)
6) No need for a diff-lock unless you participate in extreme 4x4 off-road trails on a regular basis. It`s also expensive to maintain
7) Fit rock sliders
8) No need for an air snorkel unless you travel (dusty) gravel roads on a a regular basis
9) Obtain a quality towbar from a reputable dealer
10) General maintenance tips - Replace (i) engine oil & filter every 10 000km (Owners manual indicate evey 20 000km) and (ii) cambelt & water pump every 100 000km; (iii) have the cooling tested every 50 000km to determine whether the radiator is damaged, blocked and/or rusted in which case the water temp at the top will differ from the temp at the bottom, resluting in overheating, engine failure and a major repair bill!

Live without limits!

John