Hey gun people

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ms5490renegade, Dec 27, 2010.

1. ms5490renegade

ms5490renegade Banned

im going to be getting a gun here in the next few weeks. i need suggestions on what to get.

i do like the desert eagle 1911. revolvers are ok also. this will be for work so i do need something with some stopping power.
    thank you for you help

2. mag03kj

mag03kj Banned

S&W .40
    9mm

3. SurfGuitar141

SurfGuitar141 Full Access Member

Lot's of things to consider Matt....

I assume this is some type of security job......?

You will have to carry this weapon on your belt for at least 8 hour shifts, so dry weight is a concern.
    The Desert Eagle is a fun gun to play with at the range, but probably not the best choice for security work. Most duty weapons are mid to full size, so a revolver with a 3.5" to 4" barrel is always a good basic carry piece, but being an all metal gun, tend to weight a bit more than some of your other likely choices. Revolvers are easy to keep clean, extremely reliable, and easy to learn and manage, their only limitation is they only carry 6 rounds before you need to reload, however with a couple of speed loaders and some practice, you can learn to reload a wheel gun pretty darn quick.
    Should you decide on a revolver, the Ruger GP-100 is unbeatable, you can shoot .38 Spl, .38+P, or .357 Magnum from them, all have capable stopping power.
    In the semi-auto world the choices are almost endless, however if this is going to be strictly a work / duty weapon, I'd recommend going with either 9mm, or the .40 S&W caliber, and depending on which gun is more comfortable in your hands, either a standard size Glock, or the Springfield XD. Personally I prefer the Springfield XD.....

I would also check with your employer before purchasing any gun, as many security companies usually have a list of acceptable duty weapons that they will allow you to carry while under their employ.....

4. Jo6pak

Jo6pak Full Access Member

Surf pretty much covered all the bases in his answer.

Will you be needing any firearms training in order to carry? If so, most training facilities offer many pistols and revolvers to train with. Try them out and go with the one you are more comfortable with and shoot the best.

"Tacticool" means nothing when the SHTF. There are no points for pretty guns, better to be a guy with an ugly gun, than an corpse with a fancy piece.

5. OneOneNiner

OneOneNiner Full Access Member

Matt,I don't have any gun suggestions but don't forget about the importance of a knife as a backup means of defense.
    Might I suggest a fixed blade such as a Buck 694 or Gerber 1589.Folded blades are fine as a general purpose pocket knife,but you'll want a fixed blade on your side for quick access.
    Along with honing your sidearm skills,you can also hone your blade skills by practicing quick removal from the sheath,and also blade controll exercises.

6. ms5490renegade

ms5490renegade Banned

Thank you everyone.
    Surf yes I work security. My company allows any handgun or revolver provided its legal and in you have a personal protection permit.
    I also wasn't talking about the full sized desert eagle .50 monster.
    The DE m1911 is their version of the m1911. .45 acp rounds with I think a 4.5 inch barrel.

I could have used a weapon tonight. I was almost dog food. Details about that when I get home

7. KYLiberty

KYLiberty Full Access Member

I carry my FNH FNP 45 Tactical with an S&W Bodyguard 380 as a BUG fairly often. 15+1 rounds of 45 in a pistol designed for the Joint Combat Pistol program has to put a smile on your face (if you're the one carrying it).

[​IMG]

Now, if I want something nice and light, I really like my FiveseveN. 20+1 rounds that will penetrate just about anything (with some good EA ammo) can really put you at ease when people are wearing layers of heavy clothing, or may be wearing a vest.

[​IMG]

I also have various others that I carry, but one of the things that many people forget about is a backup. I usally have at least my S&W 638 revolver, or Bodyguard 380 just in case.

8. Jo6pak

Jo6pak Full Access Member

careful with carrying, and check your state and local laws closely. In most places, a security guard is treated as a private citizen and even brandishing at the wrong time can lead to legal trouble. Not saying you shouldn't carry protection, just be aware of the ramifications and keep yourself out of hot water.

9. Dave

Dave Administrator Administrator Moderator

Snausages................:smokin:

Dave

10. SurfGuitar141

SurfGuitar141 Full Access Member

X-2.....

For the most part, a weapon on the belt of a security guard is for the intimidation factor more so than actually using it for anything other than self protection. Drawling down on anyone other than a serious career criminal who presents a true threat to your life, and you'll be on the witness stand trying to explain your actions to a judge, a prosecutor, and 12 jurors.....

There's 2 things you need to learn and learn well....
    #1. how to safely and accurately use the weapon...
    #2. when you are legally allowed to use your weapon...

#2 is just as, if not more important than #1, and the laws in every state are different, know the laws before you strap on the weapon.....

11. LibertyOrDeath

LibertyOrDeath Full Access Member

MY personal favorite: Smith and Wesson Military and Police

Anything by Glock, Fabrique Nationale (except the 5.7 due to the cost of the ammo and weapon itself), and Heckler and Koch (Which can also be spendy). Also consider the Springfield XD or XD(m) line. A 1911 takes a lot of custom work and money to be reliable with anything but ball ammo so I wouldn't recommend them at all.

Go with 9mm, 40, or 45. I recommend you start with a 9mm because the ammo is cheapest. Practice is priceless, shot placement means everything.

12. DirtyKK

DirtyKK JPOTM WINNER

i just picked up a new Kel Tec P11 9mm for carry. they are quite easy on the wallet. im a fairly small guy and it is easily concealed. holds 10+1 or with a S&W mag 12+1. trigger has a long, heavy pull but with the right tweaks its alright. i need a place to practice shooting though. taking it out in the woods around here would probably be a hefty fine, if caught, beings its all military land. plenty of people go out and pop of a few rounds and leave though....

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  13. KYLiberty

KYLiberty Full Access Member

If you're a Glock fan, you can always go with a 19 or a 23. They are 15+1 9mm and 13+1 40 S&W.

[​IMG]

Personally, I like my FN's a little better. The FNX-9 is about the same size and weight as the Glock 19, and is 17+1. I like the feel of it better, and that it's a little more flexible in how you carry it. You can have the manual safety on, and it not cocked for double action, double action without the manual safety, or cocked for single action and the safety on. You can also get the FNX-40 that is 14+1. I don't have the 40 yet, but give me a month and I'm sure I will.

[​IMG]