Help with vibration please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudduck

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a vibration that just showed up on a 2002 Liberty Sport that I need some help figureing out the cause.

192,000 miles, OME spring lift, Moab wheels, 265/70/16 Goodyear duratracs.
I've just recently had some work done, and will give you a quick recent repair list, in case it gives you some needed info to diagnose this.

Within the last week or so......
Changed left side cv axle, right side cv axle, intermediate shaft and added a clevis lift.

Everything was good for a few days, then my starter went out.
Took it back to the shop to get the starter changed, and while it was in there, replace the front pinion seal, and rotate tires.

When I got it back, it has a pretty good vibration that starts at approx 40 mph, vibrates thru 50-55 mph, clears up a little, but is still noticeable.
Probably the worst at 45 mph.
Vibration is kinda like the a washboard dirt road vibration, but not that drastic.
If you stay at that speed, it will make a droning sound.

Assumed it was a tire out of balance, although it drove good before the rotation.
Went back and balanced all four tires, but the vibration is still there.

Came home and pulled out the front driveshaft, and the vibration is gone while driving without the front driveshaft.

Any ideas?????
Please let it be something simple.
Within the last 3000 miles, I've also rebuilt the heads, and replaced the radiator.

Thanks for your help.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well it would have to be something on the front driveshaft...either of the CV joints on it or the driveshaft is out of balance.

Mudduck

Reaction score
Yeah, I see what you are saying, but there was no vibration before repairing the pinion seal.
The balance weights on the front driveshaft are still in place.
The cvs look fine, I replaced the cv head on the rear of the front driveshaft less than a year ago.
Could there have been something done while installing the pinion seal that could cause a vibration?
Maybe something's not lined up correctly?
Maybe something too loose, or too tight?
I just dont have any experience with that at all.
If the vibration was coming from the front differential, would I still feel it with the driveshaft removed?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if they did the front pinion seal they pulled the drive shaft. could have put it back not seated well.

Put it back in and try again. Get a good look at the CV since its sitting on the bench before hand.

Latest posts

Members online