Help with Sunroof drains.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Embodied

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m having a few issues with a wet driver side floor board. Looking to check out the sunroof drains to see if that’s the problem as water does not come out when poured down the drain. Am I gonna have to take the entire dash out to access where the drain would lead to? Don’t really wanna rip it all out if I don’t have to.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a wet drivers floor after some heavy detailing on mine when I first got it.

If you open the sunroof and look into each far corner with a good light, I was able to see mine.

I ended up taking lawn trimmer string line to fish down in the holes since I had a spool lying around, I melted the cut end to make it blunt. Poured warm water with some dish soap and fed line up and down going lower and lower till water came out in the wheel well.

Embodied

Reaction score
I had a wet drivers floor after some heavy detailing on mine when I first got it.

If you open the sunroof and look into each far corner with a good light, I was able to see mine.

I ended up taking lawn trimmer string line to fish down in the holes since I had a spool lying around, I melted the cut end to make it blunt. Poured warm water with some dish soap and fed line up and down going lower and lower till water came out in the wheel well.
I’ll try this next weekend. Thank you, I’ll let you know.

Reactions: JRB

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll try this next weekend. Thank you, I’ll let you know.

Another good spot to check is the unibody, you'll have to take the plastic cowl off under the wipers. (Spray some penetrating oil in those tapered fittings ahead of time if yours end up being really stuck like mine- I ended up buying a 3 jaw puller set from hft to get the passenger off. You can get a dedicated wiper puller that works a lot better, but I wanted something that I'll get other uses for later.)

Look on the unibody under the cowl piece, you will see factory seam sealer in globs where some panels meet and check to make sure its not dried out and cracking. Mine was, and I ended cleaning the dirt off and putting some rtv to help seal them up. Even though waters on your drivers, it couldn't hurt to do both sides under cowl for future prevention imo.

Embodied

Reaction score
Another good spot to check is the unibody, you'll have to take the plastic cowl off under the wipers. (Spray some penetrating oil in those tapered fittings ahead of time if yours end up being really stuck like mine- I ended up buying a 3 jaw puller set from hft to get the passenger off. You can get a dedicated wiper puller that works a lot better, but I wanted something that I'll get other uses for later.)

Look on the unibody under the cowl piece, you will see factory seam sealer in globs where some panels meet and check to make sure its not dried out and cracking. Mine was, and I ended cleaning the dirt off and putting some rtv to help seal them up. Even though waters on your drivers, it couldn't hurt to do both sides under cowl for future prevention imo.
I’m actually thinking that is going to be the problem. Like I said I’ll check this weekend and let you know. Appreciate all the tips and ideas. Helps a ton as I was at a stand still.

2002_KJ

Reaction score
I’m actually thinking that is going to be the problem. Like I said I’ll check this weekend and let you know. Appreciate all the tips and ideas. Helps a ton as I was at a stand still.
Just curious if you ever resolved this or worked on taking off the cowl. Thanks.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious if you ever resolved this or worked on taking off the cowl. Thanks.

The threads I read to get the info to do mine, it had worked for many. I did my sunroof at the same time so I can't be certain that's what stopped my water on the floor, but if you have any areas missing seam sealer it would be good to reseal them to prevent future problems of water intrusion and corrosion.

Even if you don't have a problem on passenger side, check where the blower motor intake is, mine had a foam gasket that was rotted away. I used same rtv sealant I had on hand for the unibody sealing there to reseal.

Boueux

Reaction score
I’m just through the front two drain lines and am going to post a how to in that section called KJ Sunroof Plumbing.

Latest posts

Members online