help with front driveshaft on 02 liberty limited 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sassyfrass3

Reaction score
i have been told that i need to replace the complete driveshaft cuz its not servicable, but also see on this site that i could possibly replace the boots/ cv joints instead. im at a loss...also how do i measure the compressed lenght of the driveshaft? please help.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You can rebuild the front driveshaft with parts from , www,driveshaftparts.com

some shops, well most would rather replace than rebuild

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can rebuild the front driveshaft with parts from , www,driveshaftparts.com

some shops, well most would rather replace than rebuild
Hey Tom, I had to take my front driveshaft out to replace a failing starter and I noticed that my front CV joint is getting dry. Do you know the part#'s for the front driveshaft's CV joints from driveshaftparts.com? I'd like to rebuild before I put back in place.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I looked up driveshaftparts.com and they have new (not rebuilt) driveshafts for the liberty - reasonable price. Apparently the driveshaft lengths slightly differ between transfer cases and probably transmission types. I have select tract 242 with auto so my OEM part# 52111597AA translated to their DSJ910. I physically confirmed the length of 31.3" and ordered. So anyone needing a V6 242 select trac front driveshaft, look up part DSJ910 from them - though confirm that because I have the early auto KJ transmission. They don't offer front CV rebuild kits, only rear CV rebuild kits and in my case the front CV grease was pretty shabby so I figured to rebuild both would be about the same as just buying a new one. They offer a 1 year warranty but after talking with the guy, they seemed very confident that I wouldn't have an issue. Free shipping.

The only other option I was considering was a dorman oe solver front driveshaft that had U joint instead of CV. I like the idea of simplicity of the U joint but didn't want to pay $500 for a front driveshaft that will probably never be the limiting factor for my rig.

Latest posts

Members online