[Help] Trying to remove the dashboard, stuck at the steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotelmode

Reaction score
2004 KJ. I have most things removed/disconnected already, but it seems to me that in order to completely remove the dashboard (I'm replacing the heater core), I'll need to remove the steering column.

Is there an easier way to remove the dash without removing the steering column? I have the column dropped, connectors removed, bolts removed, I just don't know how to "pull" it out. :shrug:

Thanks

Last edited:

hotelmode

Reaction score
You need to remove the steering wheel. At least that's what I did. It's pretty quick and easy to do.

Gotcha. I'll need a tool for that, right? Now I'm just stuck on the actual dash not budging. Hunting for random bolts I might have missed.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I'll need a tool for that, right? Now I'm just stuck on the actual dash not budging. Hunting for random bolts I might have missed.

You need a small two-jaw puller to pull the steering wheel off the spline.

Disconnect the battery if you have not already done so...you do not want the airbags going off!

Remove the plastic covers over the top of the steering column.
Remove the two 10 mm bolts holding the steering boss in place.

Unplug the airbags or let them dangle with some support.

Remove the 13 mm bolt that holds the steering wheel in place.
Using a small punch...punch two marks on the splined sections so you can fit the steering wheel back in its original position.

Before using the two-jaw wheel puller place something like a 13 mm nut on the top of the steering column so that the point of the two-jaw puller does not damage the thread there.:icon_smile:

If you are trying to remove the center console...there is a small screw behind the ashtray!

Latest posts