HELP!!! Transfer case is stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy08

Reaction score
Hey guys, i am new here and i need help.

Anyways, i drive a 2005 Liberty, 3.7l auto trans and 231J transfer case.
Last time i had it in 4wd was about 3 months ago, and everything worked fine. I went to put it into 4hi this week and the shifter wouldnt budge. Being hardheaded and slightly angry, i ended up breaking the linkage cable (the little nylon eyelet that hooks onto the shift lever on the tcase). So i know i need a new shift cable. BUT... i still have a problem. I can get under the jeep and try to shift the tcase into 4hi by hand and it will not move. I even rigged up a little bar and LIGHTLY tapped on the lever with a hammer and still wont shift. What should i do? What could be my problem? How am i going to fix this and how much $$$ is it going to cost me.

Jeremy08

Reaction score
The cable didnt snap, the little plastic eye did that fits around the stud on the shift lever. The little plastic bushing broke also.

JavelinAMX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think his bigger problem is the transfer case not shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy08

Reaction score
Quote "I think his bigger problem is the transfer case not shifting."

Correct. I completely understand my problem with the shift cable and can fix it no problem. What i dont understand is why the transfer case wont shift by hand. It is stuck in 2wd. I think my best bet would be to buy a used tcase, swap them and then split the old one and figure it out??? The jeep is my daily driver, i cant afford to have it down for a few days.

What would cause the tcase to lock up?

SRTPUN

Reaction score
Did you fix this? I just had mine snap in 4hi and now I'm pissed..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online