Help - Starter motor Removal-Front Diff Cup Nut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deboy922

Reaction score
I am struggling tonight. Trying to replace my starter. I have it completely disconnected and can't get it out.

I removed the front driveshaft. If I can remove the "cup" on the front differential, I think that I will have enough clearance to remove the starter. The nut that holds the "cup" on is maybe 1-1/8". Do I just put an impact on it to remove? What is the torque to install?

Not sure if "cup" is the right word. But it is the part on the front differential that the front drive shaft bolts to.

Please help...Jeep down...Jeep down. Please and thank you!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought we had a how 2 on the starter with quick tips somewhere..?
Anyways this video may help you out!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

deboy922

Reaction score
Thank you. The above video is what I used. But on my 2003 there is not enough clearance to remove the starter. The "cup" (is it called a "yoke"?) on the front diff and the exhaust interfere. I would like the procedure on how to remove and re-install the cup/yoke to give me enough clearance.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, leave that in place. If you pull it...it affects the gears in the differential.
Remove the aluminum support between the engine and transmission and then you will have enough space. 4 bolts I think....

deboy922

Reaction score
No, leave that in place. If you pull it...it affects the gears in the differential.
Remove the aluminum support between the engine and transmission and then you will have enough space. 4 bolts I think....

Thank you again so much! Removed the (8) 15mm bolts to remove that aluminum support, and the starter was easy to remove. I would not have figured that out myself. I was focused on the front diff and exhaust pipes that were in the way.

This forum is such a great resource . Thank you all for helping me save money and help my kids get through college. Needing another 4 years from the 2003 Libby!!!