Help! Screeching/Squealing noise when turning at low speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archytekt

Reaction score
This only happens when I am in a parking lot making sharp turns such as around the ends of rows or into/out of parking spots. I lifted each tire and checked all wheel bearings, lower ball joints, and other steering components and everything seems firm. I did notice a bit of hydraulic oil on the driver's side where the tie-rod connects to the rack -and-pinion, but I am not near low on fluid and it steers very well. I have read a couple of stories online and it seems like it stems from the tires? I do not have the stock Goodyear tires I have Yokohamas, which have a bulk-ier tread pattern. Can anyone verify this is tire noise for me or maybe another issue?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it only happens when you're at full lock it's the power steering belt and/or pump. quick and easy test... next time it happens back off your steering input just a bit... not even an 1/8th of a turn should be enough to make the noise go away. if it does it's belt and/or pump and it's NORMAL. every vehicle I've ever owned or driven (that has had power steering...) has made some kind of noise at full lock.

Archytekt

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the steering is not maxed out when I turn. I can check it again though. It doesnt have any sound similar to the sound made when maxing out the steering and putting an increased load on the power steering pump though...

Archytekt

Reaction score
yeah, i am hoping it is just tire noise for myself. does not seem to have any mechanical issues though so that is a plus and leads me to believe that the tires are the problem.

fatelvis

Reaction score
Did you found the cause for squeeling. I have exact symptoms, but i'm pretty sure it isn't wheel noise. Maybe coming from differential.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna try to bump/revive this thread cause I experience that noise too :\ Just wanna make sure it's nothing rubbing that's gonna cause problems in the near future.

fatelvis

Reaction score
In my case, it was the belt afterall. I changed the belt, since my old seemed to be little worn out. New one was shorter and it took a while to figure how to install it. And voila! New kind of squealing appeared and the old was gone. Doh! I guess i must find some kind of tracktion spray for the belt to stop that horrible squeling. Any suggestions?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
In my case, it was the belt afterall. I changed the belt, since my old seemed to be little worn out. New one was shorter and it took a while to figure how to install it. And voila! New kind of squealing appeared and the old was gone. Doh! I guess i must find some kind of tracktion spray for the belt to stop that horrible squeling. Any suggestions?

DO NOT USE ANY type of traction or squeal stopping junk on your belt.
That is a sure way to induce premature belt failure!
Did you replace the belt tensioner when you replaced the belt?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

X2. You may also start to experience your belt slipping.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep belt dry as is. If it goes bad quickly one of the pulleys may be bad or have deformities.

fatelvis

Reaction score
Tensioner ordered

Well, i didn't tought that the tensioner should be changed too. Thanks for the tip, now new tensioner has been ordered from Rockauto. Will give report after installation.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score

did you change the tensioner along with the belt?

oops sorry, little late there.