Help on Catalytic converter replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwcunning

Reaction score
Does anyone have a video, photos, or any other advice on replacing the Cats? I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport. Had problem with front right cat (P0420). Jeep has 150K miles and just wanted to get it to pass inspection (wont with P0420) so I ordered a cheapo off ebay that guaranteed fit ... but it didn't. It did eliminate the P0420, though but now I have an exhaust leak at the flange. Process looks simple enough but if anyone has any pointers, vids, or pics, I'd appreciate it. Cant believe this is not on youtube yet.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Without photos, it is difficult to see what is going on, can you weld the flange up to fix the leak?
As far as a perfect fit and quality, the OEM cats are the way to go, but big $$.
Many have has success apparently with the walker cats, what brand of cat did you buy?
As many of the aftermarket cat replacements may require muffler shop, I am not surprised there is not a lot of pics or videos, many just get er done, and just don't care to post media.
Here are other google related cat threads from our site.
https://www.google.com/search?q=jee...JzQIHT_SCjIQrQIoBDAAegQIBRAK&biw=1920&bih=938

pwcunning

Reaction score
LibertyTC - thanks for the reply.. at this point I am not really interested in trying to make the cat I bought fit - i just doesnt. Ive read good things about the walker cats, myself and thought id just buy one and install it myself. The cost of an OEM cat is just about what the whole jeep is worth at this point. Just looking for any helpful hints on that. looks pretty straight forward - just making sure.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy used ? I scored a like new set from a southern jeep - 70k , looked brand new and worked perfect. Paid @$100

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace everything from the headers back and bought Walker cats and muffler from Rockauto. It all came in two boxes and I removed the old and put on the new in an afternoon.
There are not that many bolts and I am sure there is a youtube video that details everything.

pwcunning

Reaction score
I had to replace everything from the headers back and bought Walker cats and muffler from Rockauto. It all came in two boxes and I removed the old and put on the new in an afternoon.
There are not that many bolts and I am sure there is a youtube video that details everything.
thanks - but there are no youtube videos about this as i said in my original post. thats why i asked for pointers

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops, I missed that last line.

Dang, if you were closer I would come over and do it all for you. Okay, so I would recommend that once you get the replacement parts, disconnect everything from the end of the Y pipe back to the muffler. Pull all that off so that you have room to slide the Y pipe back to get the rear exhaust hanger out. Be sure to remove or unplug the O2 sensors- I had one on each part of the Y before the cat and one after. The bolts holding the exhaust to the headers (at least on my 2007) were rusted through. I had to spray everything down with a penetrating spray and let it sit for a while. Then I took a socket to hold the top nut in place (there is a metal clip that keeps it in place but that was pretty much gone) and used an impact driver to remove the bolt. After the bolts were removed, just pull back on it and the long hanger (before the cat on the 2003 and just after the Y on the 2007) will come out.

Putting it back on is just everything in reverse. I would really recommend getting a good rust penetrating spray and an impact driver. Those two things made all the difference in the world to me.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online