Help! My Libby Broke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OOPS, I put this in the wrong forum. Can you put it where it belongs?

It's a 2002 Liberty Limited 4x4. I bought it 32 days ago. It has 134397 miles on it. Of those, I have put 667 miles on it. First thing I did when I got it was change the oil and filter. Nothing strange there. Changed the tires, it's all good. The independent car dealer put a new Cat on it, and then had the Chrysler dealer replace the ****** mod and switch under recall warranty, to fix the light issues with part time, full time 4x4 etc...

I started seeing coolant under it a few days after getting it back from the Jeep dealer. It never lost more than a pint or two before I refilled it. I changed the water pump, even though, when I got the original pump off, it was fine. It was the gasket that was leaking on the water pump. I installed a new thermostat and replaced the upper water hose at that time. All good.

I decided to replace the spark plugs, because who knows how old they were. After replacing the spark plugs I took it for a test drive. It was running great. I went about 1 mile and turned around. About half way home I started hearing a loud Tat, Tat, Tat, Tat sound that was consistent with the RPMs. No lights on the dash and the temp was barely up to operating temp. I made it the 1/2 mile or less home and shut it off. I coasted most of the way. I checked the oil. Right at safe level. I checked the coolant. Right at cold fill line.

The only thing I have done so far is remove the belt and see if the noise is still there. It is. That takes the alternator, power steering pump, and A/C compressor, out of the equation. Did I blow a head gasket? Suck a valve? throw a rod? Any help here would be great.

Last edited:

piaa_nissan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You double check to make sure a plug didn't unseat itself?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Toast" meaning what, did he give you an explanation as to what went wrong on it? "Toast" could mean the engine blew, it could also mean it needs internal repairs that can be done, but I'd rather sell you a new engine.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Toast" meaning what, did he give you an explanation as to what went wrong on it? "Toast" could mean the engine blew, it could also mean it needs internal repairs that can be done, but I'd rather sell you a new engine.

Sorry, My bad for using slang to describe a blown engine. Wrist pins and a melted piston. He said it would be cheaper and easier to replace the engine than rebuild it. They are a small dealer, not an engine builder. He is going to pay for the engine, but I wanted to make sure the new one he gets isn't going to have the same problem as this last one. I don't know of many engine suppliers and this is the only one that changes the original designs when they rebuild it. At least that I have been able to find.

My question now is which engine supplier? not how to fix this.

Thanks for the reply!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer's mechanic says the engine is toast. Now what? How about these guys? Rebuilt Engines & Remanufactured Engines by Powertrain Products, Inc

Anyone ever used them? Seems they have fixed Jeep's engineering flaws.

Yes, they are a reputable aftermarket engine supplier. I have not used them for my KJ but a friend bought an engine from them for his '05 GMC pickup. Engine looked sweet when it was dropped off at his place - once he got all the accessories, etc. bolted on it swapped right in and fired up within a couple of cranks.

If the dealer is paying for it you should jump all over it. Just be sure you get the correct model year as the '02-'03 KJ's use a different computer than the '04 and later years.

Bob

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Still negotiating with him about that. First he said he would split it, then he said he would trade me into a 2003 Ford Explorer that is in great shape with 15,000 more miles on it than the Jeep, then he said he would have to change the term of the contract from 2 years to 4 years if we did that. I said "Fine, just give me my truck back." He said, but if we do that, then we are stuck with a Jeep that has no engine. At that point I told him "It may be time to get my attorney involved!" Then he came back and said, "If we keep everything the same as it is now, and we replace the engine using Powertrain Products re-manufactured engine, and we pay for it, would you keep the Jeep?" I told him yes. This was the salesman I was talkking to. He has to go talk to the owner. So I haven't heard back yet. That conversation was yesterday.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just talked to the salesman. He said that they will be paying for the whole thing. He said that if I want the “No Fault” warranty ($299.00), then I would have to pay for that part myself, but he didn't think I needed to. What do you guys think?

I think I am the most blessed man alive. The big man upstairs is watching out for me! I will definitely recommend this car dealer to my friends. Anyone in Oregon on the coast, who wants their name, just let me know. I'll PM it to you.

Mike!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd say you're darn lucky you were covered. Be sure to tell the dealer how happy you are about it too, like you just did here. Complaints seem to travel at the speed of light, but praises, not so much!

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I am going to start a new thread about the engine manufacturer on the KJ forum. It really is a new topic after all. :)

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd say you're darn lucky you were covered. Be sure to tell the dealer how happy you are about it too, like you just did here. Complaints seem to travel at the speed of light, but praises, not so much!

I certainly did, and I told him I will definitely let everyone I know how they treated me too. It nearly brought me to tears. I am a disabled working man with a family, so it would have been a very tough situation financially for me. I think they knew that too. Maybe they felt sorry for me. Whatever it is, I give thanks to God that they made the decision they did.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I certainly did, and I told him I will definitely let everyone I know how they treated me too. It nearly brought me to tears. I am a disabled working man with a family, so it would have been a very tough situation financially for me. I think they knew that too. Maybe they felt sorry for me. Whatever it is, I give thanks to God that they made the decision they did.

It's good to give credit to were its due. Sounds like you have it figured out.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updated!

Found out this weekend from the dealer that the previous owner had the engine rebuilt 15 months ago. The repair shop they had do it, had a line item that stated "Weld Crankshaft" :mfr_omg: Has anyone ever heard of welding a crankshaft? This is something I thought was a definite no-no.

Anyway, the dealer contacted the rebuilding shop and they will not stand behind the engine work they performed. The dealer still ordering a replacement and installing it for me, but at least we know why it blew! :emotions122:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess they were out of chewing gum and baling wire... :whymewhyme:

Last edited:

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of welded rear ends but never that! Find a place to rate that place - poor! Then after you get it going find a place and rate the dealer as - good or great.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I signed up for Angie's list, so I can do just that. Where else would be good? The local radio stations play the dealers commercials all the time, I was thinking about paying for a few testimonial ads on their behalf. Maybe even take out an ad in the local shopper, a printed weekly paper, where everyone sells their stuff, and tell how pleased I am with the service I have received.

The dealer's tag line is; "If I can't save you money, I don't deserve your business!" I guess he really means it.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lmao....you guys need to get out more. ;)
Repairing a badly worn or gouged crank journal using a special welding process is not all that uncommon. Nobody in their right mind would weld a cracked/separated crank back together. I would wait to see what happened to the crank before you start to trash the engine builder.
Here are a couple of different welding processes that are used:
ut_crank_weld_01.mp4 - YouTube
CW600 Crankshaft Welding machine - YouTube

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to the dealer today. They ordered the engine yesterday, and it should arrive either Thursday or Friday. Woo hoo!!!

Yes, I see that I was uninformed about welding a crank. I'll let you know what is found once the engine is removed and inspected.

Latest posts

Members online