Help! lug nut sheared off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New member....my son's Jeep Liberty w/alloy wheels..we had tires put on and the installer used impact. Took 250 ft lbs to remove one nut. One just sheared off, leaving the tapered part of the nut in the hole. Getting it inspected soon, so need to fix asap. What would be the best or easiest fix, drill the stud and replace? Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
New member....my son's Jeep Liberty w/alloy wheels..we had tires put on and the installer used impact. Took 250 ft lbs to remove one nut. One just sheared off, leaving the tapered part of the nut in the hole. Getting it inspected soon, so need to fix asap. What would be the best or easiest fix, drill the stud and replace? Thanks.

Front or rear ?
But either way pound it out and replace , depending of course which end will decide how much work involved
If I was you I would check them all

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

Lug ripper,website the same as the name.

Yes expensive but worth every penny and makes a horrible job into a painless job that takes seconds.

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I am having the stud drilled and replaced. Bought Dorman solid lugnuts, they look much more durable (even though made in China).

justjeeps

Reaction score
Most tire shops hate it when customer says 'Do Not use a Impact wrench".

the first time I herd that demand I was second in line at Budget tire and I thought the guy / customer was being unreasonable. There shortly after my 03 was in the bay and when they brought it back it had a snapped off lug. I was thinking for $400.00 and change they should fix that...Not a chance spent the rest of the day looking for the right size replacement stud and nut. The next day spent about two hours pounding it out.

Now days I make the same request / demand...when having tires put on.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most tire shops hate it when customer says 'Do Not use a Impact wrench".

the first time I herd that demand I was second in line at Budget tire and I thought the guy / customer was being unreasonable. There shortly after my 03 was in the bay and when they brought it back it had a snapped off lug. I was thinking for $400.00 and change they should fix that...Not a chance spent the rest of the day looking for the right size replacement stud and nut. The next day spent about two hours pounding it out.

Now days I make the same request / demand...when having tires put on.

Last customer that stated that got triple charged for the tire rotation since it takes 3 times as long and only getting paid 12mins to do it not happening by hand so they pay more.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last customer that stated that got triple charged for the tire rotation since it takes 3 times as long and only getting paid 12mins to do it not happening by hand so they pay more.

I use an impact to get mine off, I use the same impact at a lower torque setting to put them on (after hand starting them). Since I'm going to go around and check them with a torque wrench afterwards anyhow, It's OK that the lower setting only tightens them to within 10ft lbs of spec.. I finish that by hand.

Gets them on and off fast and still no over-torquing. I've seen some guys keep their guns set to max for everything.. 500ft lbs and no wonder weak or fatigued wheel studs snap.

To do it all by hand would take too damn long. This is also why they make torque limiting extension bars.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't been around for a while. TJKJ2002, I'll be buying the stud ripper soon's I can get it ordered. I've always just drilled em out through the center of the stud with progressively larger drill bits until the nut fell off. That thing looks a bit quicker.

As far as "No impact to rotate tires" I explain tacitly to my customers that it's totally harmless coming off. And that we always "snug only" to retighten, then finish up with torque wrench. Those who disagree with this policy are welcome to head on down the road. None yet have done so.

Latest posts

Members online