Help - How to replace clutches in Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RGBecker

Reaction score
Seems my rear end is locked up so the two rear wheels are turning together without the advantage of the differential working freely. I'm still trying to determine if indeed I have the Trac-Lok model. My reading shows stacks of shims or clutches on one or both axle side bearings and I think they might have gaulled together. Is this common? Can I get at these by sliding out the axles and simply removing the carrier bearing caps? Does someone have a manual that shows the procedure and shows good pictures? I hate to lose parts when I get into these repairs and my manuals don't give much info on this job.

2004, 3.7 Liberty, Automatic.

Thanks, Roger.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems my rear end is locked up so the two rear wheels are turning together without the advantage of the differential working freely. I'm still trying to determine if indeed I have the Trac-Lok model. My reading shows stacks of shims or clutches on one or both axle side bearings and I think they might have gaulled together. Is this common? Can I get at these by sliding out the axles and simply removing the carrier bearing caps? Does someone have a manual that shows the procedure and shows good pictures? I hate to lose parts when I get into these repairs and my manuals don't give much info on this job.

2004, 3.7 Liberty, Automatic.

Thanks, Roger.

There is normally a sticker on the rear diff stating if it is a Trac-Lok.

Here are the manuals...try the 2003 or the 2005 models. it looks like a monster of a job to do the rear diff at home!

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

Here are the service manuals...try the 2003 or 2006. The rear diff looks like a monster to try to repair at home!http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

Last edited:

RGBecker

Reaction score
Billwill, Thanks big time for the manual link. I see they think the thing is still working even if it takes 200 foot pounds to turn one wheel while holding the other. I'll have to put it back together and check that before I go to the trouble of breaking out the clutch plates. It all looks pretty doable, though it took several readings to figure out how simple it is.
Thanks again, I'll post a follow up as I make progress. This is all about the car swaying when I let up on the gas on the hard surface. No indication of loose control arms, ball joints, anti sway bars etc. Very weird to drive this car. Any other ideas of what it could be? Roger.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Billwill, Thanks big time for the manual link. I see they think the thing is still working even if it takes 200 foot pounds to turn one wheel while holding the other. I'll have to put it back together and check that before I go to the trouble of breaking out the clutch plates. It all looks pretty doable, though it took several readings to figure out how simple it is.
Thanks again, I'll post a follow up as I make progress. This is all about the car swaying when I let up on the gas on the hard surface. No indication of loose control arms, ball joints, anti sway bars etc. Very weird to drive this car. Any other ideas of what it could be? Roger.

So do you have a Track-Loc LSD diff seeing as you are referring to clutches in the diff? If so, do you have the Mopar friction modifier in the diff?