Help - Head Gasket - 04 3.7L V6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GloryIsForever

Reaction score
Hello everyone, sorry I didn't post an introduction before this but I'll be quick, Name is Craig. I live in FL. I recently moved back here after a few years on Camp Pendlenton as a 1371/Combat Engineer in 1ST CEB. I am 24 with one beautiful boy and a little girl on the way. I'm serving out the rest of my enlistment at home on Terminal Leave/Disability. Couple Tours and now I'm ready to move on even tho I would rather continue because I loved what I did. So as for experience under the hood I have very little. I'm more used to explosives, guns, ect. I tool around a bit and help a few friends and learned what I could and now have a decent understanding of the basic fundamental. I also own a 07 GSXR 600 and work on it and do all its maintenance. I plan on starting school in Sept. for Marine Specialty basically all things boat. Now back to the issue. I finally decided it was best to reach out for some advice before I get to deep.

My Brother(also USMC) and I own a 2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7L V6. While driving on the highway he started experiencing some overheating issues and some power loss so I assumed right away because of the overheating that a number of things could have happened. It ended when I did compression tests and found out that 2 cylinders were low. I inspected the plugs and I visually inspected the cylinders with a snake LED. Turns out coolant was pooling in the cylinder. So that leave two options. Either the head was cracked or the gasket had blown. Either way the head is coming off. So after a long while and plenty of tests and precautions I went ahead and started removing everything needed. (This is all for the passenger side head only. Yes I know I should do both but we honestly cannot afford it right now.) So now I have the cam cover off and the cam sprocket removed with the chain wedged in place. I have marked it all and had TDC so when I replace it, everything. Anyway I'm stuck at the head. It won't come off. All the bolts are removed.. I moved the wedge and ziptied the chain to my thumb so it didn't drop when pulling on the head. But it will not come off. So I'm stuck.

I hope I explained it all properly. I will post pictures here in a bit to give you an idea of what I'm looking at. And also hope this is in the right thread. I'm new to the whole forum thing. Thanks in advance for your help.

GloryIsForever

Reaction score
Pictures

As promised. The to pictures of holes are from the plug holes in the back 2 passenger side. The copper shavings are from a quick seal that he tried before knowing what was wrong.

Attachments

• 20160817_211824.jpg
    20160817_211824.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20160817_211835.jpg
    20160817_211835.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20160817_211942.jpg
    20160817_211942.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20160817_211949.jpg
    20160817_211949.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off Welcome and thanks for your service!

The headgasket replacement is well described in the FSM (factory service manual) which you can get here:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Now it appear they don't have the 04 manual available but the others should be the same for that procedure. Not much change in that respect over the KJ years. I'd recommend getting the 03 or 05.

I'd also check this thread out:

DIY Head Gasket Replacement 2002 KJ 3.7L - JeepForum.com

Some good info in there.

I've done this a few years back and you really don't need to remove the cam or sprocket but you do need to remove the timing cover in front and the secondary chain guides. One connects to the head and block and removal of these allows for the removal of the secondary chain from the cam sprocket. Then disconnect the cam sensor pigtail and just remove the V-clamp connecting the exhaust manifold to the first exhaust pipe (with the cat) and pull the head off with the exhaust manifold attached. I probably oversimplified this so take a look at the stuff I linked above for more detail.

Maybe others who are better at explaining these things will chime in soon

GloryIsForever

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, and thank you for your support. So I did remove the sprocket to also inspect it closer and it does have some wear so I may replace it. So I'm pretty sure I have everything need removal removed. But I cannot jig the head loose. I don't want to damage it or maybe I missed something I will go through your links now. Thanks again

GloryIsForever

Reaction score
Update

Every bolt holding the head to the block has been removed. The exhaust manifold is still attached to the head. I still cannot free the head from the block. I know how it sounds but I like to think i'm pretty damn strong and bracing myself against the Jeep and pulling the head and it will not come loose. So any ideas would be great.:favorites68::favorites68::favorites68:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would remove the exhaust manifold. The next thing I would try would be to get a piece of wood and a hammer and try and try and knock it free.

Last edited:

GloryIsForever

Reaction score
I would remove the exhaust manifold. The next thing I would try would be to get a piece of wood and a hammer and try and try and knock it free.

Thanks for the reply. Problem is only way I can get at the manifold is if I take the radiator and disconnect the AC. Two things I don't want to fool with. According to everything I have looked at from the manufacturing manuals the head is held on by 12 bolts. I have taken these out so if everyone is sure thats the only things holding it on I will beat it off. But I have to be sure. I need this Jeep and I like I said before I can't afford a mech or new head/engine. :Violin:

GloryIsForever

Reaction score
I got the head off! The gasket was nearly welded on. Now I have cleaned the block and head off with a bit acetone and some steel wool. The head however seems a bit warped. only in 1 spot near cylinder 6. I assume this is where the gasket had blown due to heat. So now I'm going to have the head refaced. Is there anything else I should also do while the head is off? The pistons look good, valves are in good condition and I don't see any physical damage. Should I clean the walls of the cylinders or anything else while its open? Thanks

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the head off! The gasket was nearly welded on. Now I have cleaned the block and head off with a bit acetone and some steel wool. The head however seems a bit warped. only in 1 spot near cylinder 6. I assume this is where the gasket had blown due to heat. So now I'm going to have the head refaced. Is there anything else I should also do while the head is off? The pistons look good, valves are in good condition and I don't see any physical damage. Should I clean the walls of the cylinders or anything else while its open? Thanks

When I did mine I just had the heads resurfaced and cleaned by the machine shop. A good shop should be able to tell you if it can be done. You can only take off so much. I did not have the valve seats redone. They are a known weak point and are prone to failure after an overheat. If your budget is up to it I'd suggest having them replaced. At that point might inquire how much for a head rebuild while you are that far in BUT since you are only doing the one might not be worth it. I wouldn't mess with the cylinders at all. Can you still see some cross-hatch pattern? If yes then that is a good thing. I had some carbon build up on the tops of the pistons that I cleaned off.

GloryIsForever

Reaction score
When I did mine I just had the heads resurfaced and cleaned by the machine shop. A good shop should be able to tell you if it can be done. You can only take off so much. I did not have the valve seats redone. They are a known weak point and are prone to failure after an overheat. If your budget is up to it I'd suggest having them replaced. At that point might inquire how much for a head rebuild while you are that far in BUT since you are only doing the one might not be worth it. I wouldn't mess with the cylinders at all. Can you still see some cross-hatch pattern? If yes then that is a good thing. I had some carbon build up on the tops of the pistons that I cleaned off.

There is a little carbon build up. Other then that tho pattern looks good. I don't see any reason after the resurface to put it back together. The seats look good. Honestly I can't afford to replace them right now. Maybe in the future.

Latest posts

Members online