Help diagnosing bad fuel economy + engine lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slamgranderson

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first time posting here. I have an 04 liberty with 110k miles, and a few months ago I started getting really bad gas milage accompanied by an engine light. The engine light goes on and off. Usually it will come on for about 300 miles, then go off for 50-100, then come back on again. But these days it's on more than it's off.

I am getting only 17 or 16 mpgs on the highway, and my engine light coded for a P0302 or Cylinder 2 misfire. I took it to a shop and they told me it was a bad fuel injector. Regrettably I was in CO at the time and had no tools so I paid them almost $300 to replace it. Then a few weeks later, the engine light goes back on with the same code. So then I replaced the Cyl 2 spark plug. The plug seemed kinda fouled, with a chipped electrode. But the new plug didn't resolve the engine light. Then I swapped the coil packs on the 1st and 2nd cylinder. When I did this, it threw a different code: P2098 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 2. I researched this code on this forum and it seems like it can mean a lot of different things.

Most recently, the engine light went off, then when it came back on it was back to P0302 or cyl 2 misfire. So the new spark plugs didn't solve the issue, and neither did swapping the coil packs, because cyl 1 didnt misfire when using the pack that used to be on cyl 2.

A few other things: it does not run rough, or idle badly. The engine seems to run good except for the poor mileage. I did notice that it accelerates poorly if you're going faster than 60mph, especially on an uphill. It seems to have very little power on the uphills. But I'm new to the libby, so maybe this is just how she runs. Also, I have been doing a lot of highway driving cross-country with this thing. Bought it this past January and already put 16k miles on. Finally, when I was living in CO for 3 months, I was using regular gas which is 85 there. All the locals claim its fine, because of the high altitude. But I'm still suspicious that using 85 octane gas for 3 months might have contributed to the problem. But I'm no expert.

I'm wondering if the next step might be to replace the 02 sensors, or maybe just bring it to a trusted mechanic. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

thanks a lot!!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Instead of throwing parts at it, take it to a reputable shop
If you were close we could help you out. Find someone who can give it good going over and repair it right

slamgranderson

Reaction score
For anyone who may have similar problems in the future, I was able to solve this problem with a solution much simpler than I anticipated. After inspecting the vacuum lines I found that a 3 way connection from the airbox to the two cylinder banks had completely degraded. The plastic hoses were totally disconnected. So there was probably oil and dust and other muck from the engine getting sucked in and causing the misfires, along with all those other codes relating to air/fuel mix and emissions, etc.

Sometimes the simplest explanation really is the correct one.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone who may have similar problems in the future, I was able to solve this problem with a solution much simpler than I anticipated. After inspecting the vacuum lines I found that a 3 way connection from the airbox to the two cylinder banks had completely degraded. The plastic hoses were totally disconnected. So there was probably oil and dust and other muck from the engine getting sucked in and causing the misfires, along with all those other codes relating to air/fuel mix and emissions, etc.

Sometimes the simplest explanation really is the correct one.

Glad you found the cause and fixed it. Now how about that shop that misdiagnosed the fuel injector? Probably too late to go back to them with that info for a partial refund.

Oh, and for the record, I've used 85 octane fuel in lots of my vehicles when I could find it. It is more volatile than 87, so provided you don't get spark knock using it, it's fine. More octane just resists pre-ignition more effectively. The PCM will usually just dial down spark advance if it detects spark knock anyhow.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you found the cause and fixed it. Now how about that shop that misdiagnosed the fuel injector? Probably too late to go back to them with that info for a partial refund.

Oh, and for the record, I've used 85 octane fuel in lots of my vehicles when I could find it. It is more volatile than 87, so provided you don't get spark knock using it, it's fine. More octane just resists pre-ignition more effectively. The PCM will usually just dial down spark advance if it detects spark knock anyhow.

My KJ pinged like crazy with 85 octane,needed to run 91 octane here in Colorado.The KJ also states for earlier models to run 89+ octane gas if towing,if your lifted and added skids,bumpers,and all that your basically "towing" with all the added weight.

The KJ,my Town Car,and almost every other vehicle states 87 or premium gas only regardless of elevation.