Help...changing front differential seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Anyone do this? I am trying to remove the lock nut holding on the pinion shaft, but it is not going so well. Is this a reverse thread or just really tight. Any ideas on how to loosen it? Thanks

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Tom had a tool that he made up for it. I cant remember which forum I saw it on though...might have been LOST. Even then I do not think he posted a picture for it yet. Wish I knew more, sorry.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Well, I did finally get it loose with the help of a large pipe wrench which held the flange in place.. Only problem is I installed the new seal and it seams to still be leaking, very frustrating, but it may just be some differentential fluid that was leaking from the removal. I will find out tomorrow when I do my usual 120 miles for the day.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I did finally get it loose with the help of a large pipe wrench which held the flange in place.. Only problem is I installed the new seal and it seams to still be leaking, very frustrating, but it may just be some differentential fluid that was leaking from the removal. I will find out tomorrow when I do my usual 120 miles for the day.
Did you get the correct seal? Torque the new pinion nut correctly(yes you should always use a new nut,there one time use only)?

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Did you get the correct seal? Torque the new pinion nut correctly(yes you should always use a new nut,there one time use only)?

I did have the correct seal. I did not replace the nut, I did the rotation method (counting how many rotations until nut comes off) and used lock-tite when re-installing the nut. I do not have an inch/pound torque wrench. Everything is tight, but it does have a slow leak. I am hoping it will stop.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Mating surface... meaning the yoke. If so, then yes there was a groove from the old seal. That was my next move. The yoke, (which is a cone type, they call it a rear differential yoke (but installed on the front) I am confused on that one as manual shows a different type of yoke than that of my cone shaped yoke.. Anyway, I was thinking I may have to buy a new yoke.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
1 day after I saw the fluid on the seal, it has stopped and has been dry since, must have been excess being flown around, left over from changing out the seal. Next job.... Changing out the steering gear bushing