Help! Canada - GEAR LUBE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys get your differential lubricants and not get ripped off?

Not sure about the dealers - what fluids would Mopar supply and I'm afraid to even guess pricing. (Though I'll have to get friction modifier there probably - been told around $8 per little bottle - darn trash-lock) EDIT UPDATE: dealer only wants $32 a quart of mopar 75W140 synth - yah.

It'd be handy to have a local Crappy Tire carry exactly what we need - but can only find the motomaster 75w140 in quarts ($10), Quaker State 75w140 synthetic in quarts ($20)... and that's about it.

They do have 5 gallon pails of 80W90 and 85W140 in the CT truck bulk section for about $45 and have found some threads on lost of a few CRD guys running cheaper dino oils like this - anyone here do the same?

The local Amsoil dealer seems a bit pricey but will check him next - might be cheaper than the dealers?

Last edited:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at the moment i have walmart supertech in my transfercase and rear diff. no issues for 15000 miles. dosnt really get cheaper then that

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wal Mart if you got them up there. What about that Princess Auto place that you guys have up there?

Actually, that $10 a quart for the dino 75-140 isn't too bad. So you have trash-lok so then you need the modifier. Otherwise, you don't need it.

Dave

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mitch, I don't have my owners manual real handy but I'm pretty sure that if you don't tow a bunch some 75W90 will be fine. Conventional oil has been around a long time and works just fine. Stick with good service intervals and I cannot forsee any trouble. Besides, if it's cheaper, changing it more often won't be a wallet killer. Just a thought dude.

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Price comparisons

Case:

Okay, so in the interest of comparison, stopped at Napa, Stealership, and Esso Canada Lubes on the way home. (They're all in the same area so easy shoppin')

Napa Canada has quarts only - Valvoline 75W90 at $17.69 and Quaker State 75W140 at $19.99

Stealership had my friction modifier 4318060AB 4oz for $10.35 so only got one for this change in rear as a case online would be half CAD price. Their MOPAR synthetic 75W90 and 75W140 (which the desk guy said was XOM/Mobil) was $31.50 / $32 a quart. Said I didn't need synthetic and their guys only put it in fronts, he re-checked the computer to be sure and they recommend 80W90 which they had in MOPAR dino at $5.10 a quart.

Esso Canada has Mobil 1 synthetics both for $16.99 a quart. The 80W90 dino was $29.99 a gallon jug. Did not see the pails in stock.

CT has Quaker State synth 75W140 for $19.99 and their store brands for $9.99 all in quart sizes... but 80W90 and 85W140 can be had in any size up to 5 gallons really cheap.

So. I did a last check of my Chilton's VS Owner's Manual VS FSM VS Alldata.

Chilton's, owner's manual and FSM all say 75W90 GL5 for rear unless towing then 75W140 synthetic like the front. Alldata says 80W90.

Verdict:

I'd like to run 80W90 from Canadian Tire at $44.99 for 5 gallon pail. Only slight concern was pour point only -25 C. versus -40s for most synths for winter but if the stealership is doing it why the hell not? For that price I could change in half the interval for a few years and still be out ahead.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...280252P/Motomaster%2BGear%2BOil.jsp?locale=en

Guess if I find a deal on 75W140 synth for front and for you Canadians that run it I'll post it here, I have a nose for sales... Will keep an eye on big jugs of Mobil 1 ATF+4 too.

PS - Mobil 1 full synth 5W30 jugs go on sale next week at CT 20% off.

Now I just need a pump to get from pail to diff - have a gas siphon pump but it's the squeeze type and not sure how easy it would be to control...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use an outdrive gear lube pump. Works great actually. It is made to screw on a 1 qt bottle but I don't see why you couldn't put the other end in a bucket (as you said). About 10 bucks at Walmart. Or check at a marina although it might be more there.

Just a thought.

Dave

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use an outdrive gear lube pump. Works great actually. It is made to screw on a 1 qt bottle but I don't see why you couldn't put the other end in a bucket (as you said). About 10 bucks at Walmart. Or check at a marina although it might be more there.

Just a thought.

Dave

Will keep looking for something like that, thx Dave. Walmart Canada just isn't what it is in the USA. It's cheap but automotive sections are pretty slim (mine's actually a couple of aisles). Motor oil or wipers on sale is about all she wrote - but their service center is probably the cheapest place in town for tire install / balancing and flat repair so have used them for that. Not positive I want them under my hood however.

My neighbour mentioned a 100% Canadian product from Suncor/Petro Canada... will look into it but the Traxon Synthetic doesn't look cheap.

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/609.aspx

Will check it out regardless, their 80W90 and 85W140 might actually be the stuff at CT anyways...

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gallon jugs of Mobil ATF+4 at CanadianTire for $30. The wee transfer pumps should be in the sporting goods/marine aisle or not far from the oil filters/oil. Aisle 3. Ha. Is here anyways.

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found quarts only of Nemco gear oils (a Manitoba oil co. and refiner reseller) at Princess Auto for $5.49.

You must be registered for see images

http://www.nemco.mb.ca/userfiles/techsheet_nemcoMultiGearGL-5Oils.pdf

They unfortunately don't have a pump I'm looking for in stock. Will check CT next like you said ptsb5a... they have the cheap scissor jacks on sale tomorrow and I lent mine to my father in law for his rv... never seen again. (Like I need an excuse to walk into CT lol)

I think this about exhausts my search for gear oils in Canada. Hope it helps someone else.

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rigged up a gear oil lube shop in garage...

So if you're passing by my place and need some gear oil I can fill your diff from the drum with 5-6 pumps.

Overkill but was fun to piece together... :Rock on:

attachment.php

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online