Help!!!! 2005 CRD Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

En4cr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I was going to go out and get some fuel. Started the jeep, it ran for 30 seconds then it just died. It cranks, but it won't start. The battery is a newish (April 2011) Optima Red Top. The battery cables are tight, but I am not a mechanic to know

En4cr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel filter was replaced last year with the EGR. No, I still have about half a tank of fuel. What is the key sentry?

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air in the fuel lines. Probably from the fuel head. Prime and bleed.

I'm not sure why people come up the most least-likely scenarios to troubleshoot a problem.

En4cr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt that it is air in the fuel lines. It has never been run out of fuel. It started fine on Friday and yesterday when I was running around the old neighborhood. I was going to get fuel and do some errands for my parents when the Jeep started, then after 30 seconds died and it cranks but won't start. At least there is a Jeep dealer in this tiny town where my parents live

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the SKIM system when you turn on the ignition a light comes on showing a key symbol with a line through it. This should go out as you start the vehicle and not come back on again. if the ECU is not happy that the SKIM is sending through the correct code...ie. someone trying to hot wire the Jeep...the ECU drops the Auto Shutdown Relay after thirty seconds and lights up the SKIM light.
Air gets into the fuel lines very easy....you need to prime the filter to make sure all air is out.

En4cr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer is saying the the DTC are saying no fuel pressure. They are hoping it is just wiring, since there are no fuel pumps around.

Will the gas fuel pump work on the CRD?

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... I was right... just saying. Prime, bleed and drive on.... Like I said. The fuel head tends to leak.

redbink

Reaction score
I have a related problem, no start - no cranking. Cold weather so the jeep is plugged in and then warmed up the glow plugs. Battery shows 11+ volts, no indication of problems from instrument panel. Primed the fuel filter, there was lots of pressure. Steering wheel not locked and also tried in neutral (on an automatic) with the same difference. Checked fuses and they are good. Last thing I tried was checking a sensor on the air box because I thought it was loose once and didn't start as a result? Any suggestions....

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a related problem, no start - no cranking. Cold weather so the jeep is plugged in and then warmed up the glow plugs. Battery shows 11+ volts, no indication of problems from instrument panel. Primed the fuel filter, there was lots of pressure. Steering wheel not locked and also tried in neutral (on an automatic) with the same difference. Checked fuses and they are good. Last thing I tried was checking a sensor on the air box because I thought it was loose once and didn't start as a result? Any suggestions....

A very common problem of not cranking is the actuator pin that turns the ignition switch breaks....have a look at the sticky here on general discussion "how to start with broken ignition"

Also remove the starter relay and jumper pins 30 and 87 together with ignition ON...engine should turn over.

90 % of starting problems are battery related on the CRD and your battery does not sound very good at 11 Volts...have the battery checked out and check that the alternator is charging at about 13.5 volts over the battery at idle. Also check all battery and chassis to engine connections are clean and tight.