Hello from a Brit in Ft.Lauderdale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeza

Reaction score
Afternoon everyone!

I've just purchased my first 2005 Liberty...unfortunately I think I got abit screwed over, so she's already in for some repair work, but hey, what can I expect from a foreigner in the scam capital of the US.
Either way, I'm keeping her and when she's back she should be raring to go!
Looking forward to picking your brains!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Not many shops do well with these engines. Timing belt/water pump replacements are critical. Always give it a good warm-up and a couple minutes at idle before shut-down. Get rid of the original ceramic glow-plugs before they eat the engine.

I can make you a good deal on some 7 volt metal glow-plugs that are unsuitable for my Alaskan climate. Brand new, never installed.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Jeza, is this a 2005 gasoline 3.7 or diesel (Crd) engine?

Jeza

Reaction score
Its a 3.7. So I brought the car after a test drive and knowledgeable, all be it novice knowledgeable walk around and go over by myself. All seemed good, I was happy, plugged a computer in and no concerns came up. Paid, sold as seen. 3 days later on the highway, the engine light came on and a considerable knocking from the engine, long story short...the guy i brought it from towed it back to his mechanic and its now with him getting fixed, new oil pump, piston rings, timing kit, machined heads etc, a couple Gs I wasn't expecting to pay so soon and definitely not on the lift kit, breaks etc I was wanting to start with. But, its done, its getting sorted. Like I said, I'm just going to pick your guys brains before anything else if that's cool?. I'm used to european hot hatches in the UK, not so much Jeeps.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow..That's some major work to start off with. I feel your pain.
Hopefully everything turns out ok, and it runs great again soon.
Sure feel free to ask questions, we are here to help.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Whoops! I guessed wrong, ignore everthing I said.

Good luck with your Jeep!