Heater core changed, lost my dimmer control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fishing for ideas here:

06 kj.

changed out my heater core. All went well, took a bit longer that I expected, but I learned a lot.

All looked good before I buttoned up the remainder of my dash.

Now I get a MIL and a scan tool reveals ‘ DIMMING LEVEL SWITCH INPUT CIRCUIT HIGH ‘

So I checked schematic and am going to start sorting this weekend.

Any hints as to what happened are appreciated. I’m going with a bad multipurpose switch, but it was just fine before I started this mess.

Jeep is a new to me project for my son who begins driving in a few months. Our 2nd kj in the family.

anyone seen this before?

Thanks !

DadOSix.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some strange things happen with loose connections. I did my heater core last year and afterwards had an airbag light. I went back and rechecked the clock spring and took the airbag out again and put it back, and still no dice. Eventually I discovered I missed connecting a ground strap behind the kick panel to the left of the drivers left foot, down by the hood release lever.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange indeed!

i worked thru the diagnostic tree to a point where it started to make sense that it was indeed a connection and not a bad BCM or multifunction switch.

what I did find was, an oily grease that had crept into the light stalk connector, i guess c2 as it is labeled.

shot it with a bit of contact cleaner and waited it to dry.

snapped back together and the code was gone.

all was well and I continue to the next task. I bought this little unloved KJ for just a few bucks. I’ve got about 5 days total in labor for various stuff, and my punch list keeps changing because I find something else.

He is my 2nd KJ, so I do have a bit of an idea about this jeep.

currently filthy inside and I have found 48 petrified french fries and about 6 bucks in loose change.

just checked my intermediate shaft as I’m looking at a few oil leaks. That job gets added to the list.

thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it is fixed now...at least for a while!

You often get weird problems where you are working in one area and suddenly a fault shows up somewhere else..contact cleaner can work wonders sometimes!;)

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That CRC cleaner works wonders!

normally, I would not care about that dimmer circuit, but MD has a regulation in the MVA that state the car you bring for the test must be mechanically safe (of course) and no MIL lites on. So, it had to be sorted.

i’d never have found the code with my old reader, but recently picked up one of he obd-ii bidirectional ones. The x431-v is a tablet based reader that allows me to control most things like the dealer scan tool. When amazon went to no interest pays on expensive stuff, i couldn’t pass it up.

been real useful in sorting out my eldest son’s 16 Cruze. No ac, and one of those variable compressors. Tool lead us to find the clutch coil was open. No amount of jumpering would sort it on those new 3 wire systems.

Sounds like it is fixed now...at least for a while!

You often get weird problems where you are working in one area and suddenly a fault shows up somewhere else..contact cleaner can work wonders sometimes!;)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.