Headlights flashing off and on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twice now, almost two weeks apart, my head lights have flashed off around 4-5 times then turn back on. The flashing isn't timed exactly, it'll flash slow then fast then they turn back on. From some reading, it seems this is a very common problem and I've yet to read any solutions. Worried its the bcm, sure hate to replace that. Anyone else ever had this issue?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the relay doesn't fix it then I guess that'll be my next option. Interior lights turn on very frequently when the jeep is parked. I walk by it all the time and see them on (turned off on multi switch). Been needing to replace it for that anyway.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine did that for a while. how old is your battery? i seem to get strange happenings like lights flashing, horn honking, HVAC wont fully transition into positions and it is always my battery.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about the battery. Its a little over 1.5yrs old (interstate megatron). When this happened the voltage was 13.5vlt. I had my stereo up a little but not blasting. First time the lights flashed the radio was on but turned down low.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapped the bright light and low beam relay and it hasn't done it since 10-26. Got a new multifunction switch from rock auto and swapped it out last night so we'll see.

Dangerousdave26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago I had that happen on my 1979 Ford F-150.

The problem was caused by the tail light wires that passed threw the bed of the truck. They had rubbed a bare spot. I would hit a bump and they would touch the bed and short out. This would cause the relay to reset.

Of course it was an easy fix once I found it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as a follow up, since swapping the dim light and bright light relays the head lights have not turned off. I've also swapped out the multifunction switch since my interior lights often came on and the dash lights would flash. Sad to say the new multifunction switch did not fix the interior lights coming on nor did it fix the dash lights flashing. That must be something to do with the bcm.