headlight protection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was in advance auto parts and saw the meguiars "heavy duty headlight kit". it came with light sand paper, a block, buffing wheel, plastx, and headlight protector. i was wondering has any1 used the protector or anything that they know works well at keeping the headlights clear, i was also thinking maybe a coat of klasse high gloss sealant glaze might be good, thoughts?
thanks,
chris

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If your headlights are seriously faded (fogged look) then the headlight restore kits work.
First try some Brasso Polish it is not $20+ $.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was wondering has any1 used the protector or anything that they know works well at keeping the headlights clear, i was also thinking maybe a coat of klasse high gloss sealant glaze might be good, thoughts?
thanks,
chris
The KJ headlights are reasonably easy to keep clear. I would just keep a coat of Klasse on them. I simply use whatever slealant on them that I use on the paint.

The only way to achieve a level of protection above Klasse is to add a clear laminate over them. LaminX, 3M Clear Bra, Invisible Mask, etc...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much does a new headlight housing/lens cost. I know it is probably a pain to replace and align, but I wouldn't mind getting it replaced instead of trying to restore it. I saw some grim looking headlights that turned even worse after you sand them once.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much does a new headlight housing/lens cost. I know it is probably a pain to replace and align, but I wouldn't mind getting it replaced instead of trying to restore it. I saw some grim looking headlights that turned even worse after you sand them once.

Happened to mine. I bought one of those kits, followed the directions to a tee, and all it did was make my headlight look more foggy.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a detailer and I've been restoring headlights for quite a while now. If you do it properly, the headlights shouldn't turn back yellow/foggy for a while, if at all, especially if you take care of them. Doing it properly will cost you 20% or less of what a new housing will cost.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the lenses made of? I know if I knock on mine they sound like glass. Aren't most of those restore products made for plastic?

I'm just not sure what material the lenses are made from.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
First try some Brasso Polish it is not $20+ $.

I've used this stuff with success on my old Ranger. I used it after I had the vehicle for 3 years... and I never had to use it again. I sold the truck after owning it for almost 8 years.

I also heard (but have yet to try) that once the plastic is treated, you can maintain it by wiping vegetable/canola/olive oil on the outside of the lens. Keeps the plastic free of bug debris too. I'm not sure how well this works - I was going to try it on the KJ.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online