Having locking issues after stereo install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The wolf

Reaction score
When I was installing a stereo I forgot to unplug the battery and I crossed the wires when I was testing it to make sure everything worked and some wires exposed, it sparked and I can’t lock my car unless the engine is running , other than that I have to lock it manually, also my gas and temperature gauge stay up even after the car is shut off and the back door sounds like it locks when I turn the ignition, can it be a fuse or something? It’s a 2002 Jeep Liberty

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
Rule# 1 always dis-connect battery cables before doing any electrical work on our Jeeps.
Hopefully you have not damaged the body control module.
What you can do, is try to do a hard re-set.
Take both battery cables off & tape or clamp them together (away from battery) for 45 minutes.
Reconnect battery cables, make sure they are on clean & tight, then start the Jeep, Did that help?
Next with Jeep off, standing outside the jeep, hold the lock & unlock remote fob buttons together for 10 seconds. Do the locks now work properly?

The wolf

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
Rule# 1 always dis-connect battery cables before doing any electrical work on our Jeeps.
Hopefully you have not damaged the body control module.
What you can do, is try to do a hard re-set.
Take both battery cables off & tape or clamp them together (away from battery) for 45 minutes.
Reconnect battery cables, make sure they are on clean & tight, then start the Jeep, Did that help?
Next with Jeep off, standing outside the jeep, hold the lock & unlock remote fob buttons together for 10 seconds. Do the locks now work properly?
Non of that worked so I’m assuming the body control module is damaged but I will have it checked anyways , any chance you know where to get a replacement?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You should be able to drive it.
1 hour at the dealer, they might be able to re-program it or tell you if it may be fried.