Hardwire Garmin Nuvi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Garmin nüvi 2597LMT and would like to hardwire a power cable through the dash in order to avoid dangling wires down the front of the dashboard.

It seems that this product would do it, but some of the reviews claimed that it eliminated the traffic feature: Direct USB Hardwire Car Charger Cable Kit for Garmin GPS Nuvi

I was under the assumption that since it comes off the ciggie lighter it would only use the Hot/Ground connection and anything which provided the proper voltage and amperage would work. The Garmin end of it uses a MicroUSB connector with this pinout for USB use:

You must be registered for see images

I think the Data +/- would be ignored and only the Vcc and GND connections would be active.

Any advice on doing this and not frying the GPS? I'd be more than willing to buy the power adapter I linked above, but not if it means disabling some of the features on the Garmin. If worst comes to worst, I can hardwire one of those auxiliary cigarette jacks in parallel with the existing one (with the new one hidden behind the lower dash area) and tap into the power while still using the Garmin's cigarette plug, thereby avoiding any third-party power adapter issues.

Second: My preferred location is a windshield suction-cup mount just about here:

You must be registered for see images

(Not my Jeep, and I have no intention of bolting any brackets to the dash)

What's the best way to run a wire from behind the dash where I can tap into the existing cigarette plug for juice and get the MicroUSB end popping out between the dash and the windshield? I've seen some videos where getting that area of the dash apart looks like a very big undertaking. Whether I buy the adapter I linked above or wire in another cigarette jack, I need to get the wire from under the dash to the windshield area.

Thanks! :icon_smile:

Last edited:

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hard wired you mention does NOT have traffic. The factory power cord has the traffic module in the cord. Only way I know of is to wire in a cig. lighter, or cut the plug off the cord and wire it in.

If you mount the original cord behind the dash, you may not receive traffic, or may - just depends on the strength of the signal.

I don't live close enough to receive traffic on mine - except when away from home.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
It never occurred to me that they would have a part of the actual system stashed in the power plug. Now I want to take the thing apart and see what it looks like. :secret:

So, at this point all I need is some advice for getting the wire fed from under the dash to the windshield area. Any hints before I get the tools out and start unbolting stuff?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually plan to install some spotlights on my roof rack. That will definitely come in handy.

You can get a pretty good look by just removing the one bolt in the cig lighter indent/cavity/whatever it is. That holds the entire front panel on.
Thanks. I've had the whole radio and A/C area apart twice whilst dithering over my in-dash options. Lots of potential there. For one thing, I think with a little cutting a mini CB radio should fit nicely just to the left of the cigarette jack. I'll probably tap into the power from the existing jack for the concealed jack for the Garmin and for the CB as well.

As for getting the Garmin power line from under the dash to the windshield area, I think I've got a scheme which doesn't involve taking the whole interior front apart. When I get time (dang schoolwork!) I'll try it and post my results.

Thanks! :D

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
That is where I just put my led controller :) for my new warning lights! :enguard:

I just saw the picture in your other post. That's a great place for switches you probably wouldn't want to accidentally bump "on" at the wrong time. :happy160:

Latest posts

Members online