Hard water spotting on glass....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tried CLR, and a handful of other products designed to remove hard water spots from auto glass, but nothing I've tired seems to work.

I'm thinking I may have to use a buffer and some sort of compound to get rid of this spotting.

I live at the Jersey shore with constant salt spray from the ocean, and I'm also in the shadows of a coal fired electric plant, not sure which of these things is causing all the spotting, but I'd like to clean it up.

Any suggestions.....?

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pack your gear and move.:D

Easier said than done....(dunno)

Got another year and 4 months to go before I retire, maybe then I'll park my KJ on a beach in Florida instead of South Jersey. Until then I'd just like to find something that'll get rid of these ugly hard water spots......headscratch.gif

(libdarkk)

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mr clean magic eraser. Takes some elbow grease but it took some of the lighter hard water spots, that wouldn't move for anything else, off my sons TJ mirrors and windows. I've got to attack it again w/ a new eraser to see if I can get the heavier spots to move. fwiw, it Also worked great at cleaning up his oxidized looking hard top.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Try to use Jeweler's Rouge(ferric oxide) also into a warm paste, with a wet warm windshield, it removes all the dirt, grime,wax, and small fine scratches. You will see clearly again!
Also a glass polish like cerium oxide (brown powder) can be found at many windshield shops.
Basically you use it like a soupy mud when mixed with warm water and a buffer pad on drill.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they have been on there for a while, they may have etched into the paint. If so, it will take a buffer/compound to remove them.

If it hasn't been that long then Duragloss Nu-Glass can remove them. Fine steel wool and vinager can also work.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Here's to retirement!!!!

Those must be some serious water marks, how is your windshield overall? Pitted? Maybe a replacement is an option? If/when you get them off Rain-X the crap out of your clean glass.

Good Luck

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once owned a little car that had such bad water deposits on all the windows and headlights it was like they were frosted... had to have been parked under sprinklers for many years... anyway, I used NEVERDULL (available at walmart and a few other places) which is metal polishing wads that smell like turpentine, to scrub the thinner areas, then I used razor blades and neverdull to get the thick stuff off... the steel wool just wouldn't cut it... Neverdull also works fantastic for getting adhesive off without leaving an icky residue like goo-gone or orange oil