Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by rocknrun, May 27, 2011.

1. rocknrun

rocknrun Full Access Member

Any other KJ hams here? I'm W4KTL. New to KJ's, but not new to Jeeps. Looking forward to putting a dual band with detachable head in my (new to me) 04 KJ.

2. al7fi

al7fi Full Access Member

Al7FI here.Got my 03 new in 03. No permanent mounts as yet. Run a THF6 Kenwood with an extended triband duck on a suction cup inside the windshield. Have run a THD7 with an old RS GPS receiver for APRS with some success. Now and again a Larson dual band mag mount on the roof in back of the sun roof, which obviously extends the range
    Primary HF activity is 75m phone on statewide nets with some activity on 7.093 phone again on statewide nets (we get to work phone from 7.100 to 7.075 up here.

3. streetglideok

streetglideok Full Access Member

Always wondered how much I would get into ham radio. Grandfather was an operator for a number of years. When he passed, I sadly never got a chance to have any of his equip.

4. Ry' N Jen

Ry' N Jen Banned

Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
  5. SabaII

SabaII Full Access Member

I have wanted to get in on it but really dont have much time for anything right now. Or money lol. But if one was to get started in it where is a good place to look at?

6. rocknrun

rocknrun Full Access Member

Here's a link to the ARRL (our national organization) about how to get into ham radio. Someone else had mentioned budget, if you are only interested in VHF mobile, you can fairly easily find used mobile rigs for less than $100. Ham radio is like many hobbies, you can spend as little or as much as you want. A lot of people think it's way expensive to get into, but the truth of the matter is you can have a nice VHF mobile setup for very little money.

http://www.arrl.org/new-to-ham-radio

7. theroofable

theroofable Full Access Member

I repair radios part time. I have several radios capable of having HAM frequencies in them, but never have gotten around to getting a license and putting them in. My mobile setup cost about 250 dollars for a radio and antenna. How about posting some pics of radios and the antenna you guys are using?

8. kena

kena New Member

My Ham Setup

My Call is K9DVA and here is my setup in My Liberty. I use a Icom 706mk11g. The radio is under my seat and head mounted as shown. Homebrew antenna mount under the back door latch. Running a hamstick for 40 and 20 meters. 73, Ken

Attached Files:

9. theroofable

theroofable Full Access Member

Looks good!

10. k9adv

k9adv New Member

Interestingly, my callsign is k9adv. Have an 05 CRD, and looking for remote head mounting idea.