Gut feeling? Antifreeze in the oil.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HatterMT

Reaction score
I know this can be caused by a few different things but what is your gut feeling? I believe it's what causing my misfire on #4. I know the injector, plug and coil are good.

Follow up question, after I get it repaired is there anything else I should look for that this could affect?

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look good, how's your coolant level? If it has dropped that can be another indicator. On the bright side you might get to rebuild or replace your engine.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wait a minute, he is in Montana (where its already cold), ain't that spuge in the oil fill a normal problem that comes up in winter for short mile drivers? Didn't they redesign the PCV system to try to clean this up?
not sure I would jump on the Antifreeze in oil bandwagon that fast.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's normal, some KJs just do that.

The best way to test for coolant in the oil is getting a used oil analysis done.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Gut feeling...........my gut says
normal if you drive it short distances
Seen many like that.
I've never had it in any of my KJs but then I run them hard and warm them up good
Change oil, clean all of that out you can, replace the PCV and drive it to get it warmed up good several times a week
In 3-4 weeks check back

HatterMT

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, it’s relatively warm here right now, for this time of year. I’ve never seen something like this. I’ll drive it some and see what happens. Once I saw the look of the oil after I replaced the injector I haven’t driven it so I don’t know for sure if the misfire is gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HatterMT

Reaction score
I drive 20 to 30 miles a day on average, sometimes as few as 14 sometime more, what do you consider short distance? I guess since I got the vehicle it has been relatively short distances. I’ll keep an eye on the coolant level.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does operating temp go up to normal?
The problem is operating temp is 195, but water don't boil out of oil until 212 (at sea level).

wipe out the mess you see.

If liberty is new to you, change oil, put right weight in there, and buy a Jeep dealer PCV valve and replace it. don't mess with aftermarket PCV valves. even if you have to mail order it, buy a JEEP PCV valve. Make sure the PVC hose is not clogged.

see if mess don't clean up. more frequent oil change (3000 miles) may be necessary for a while.

HatterMT

Reaction score
does operating temp go up to normal?
The problem is operating temp is 195, but water don't boil out of oil until 212 (at sea level).

wipe out the mess you see.

If liberty is new to you, change oil, put right weight in there, and buy a Jeep dealer PCV valve and replace it. don't mess with aftermarket PCV valves. even if you have to mail order it, buy a JEEP PCV valve. Make sure the PVC hose is not clogged.

see if mess don't clean up. more frequent oil change (3000 miles) may be necessary for a while.

Thanks, it is new to me, 2 weeks old. Supposedly the dealer changed the oil recently. I get the PCV valve changed out. I appreciate the tip!

HatterMT

Reaction score
I believe the temp goes up to normal, I’ll drive it tonight and double check.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just because the coolant temp goes up to normal doesn't always mean the oil is up to temp. Oil takes a bit longer. I don't have any numbers but after watching oil temp and coolant temp in my Cherokee's EVIC, it seems like oil takes about 20-30% longer to heat up. So if the KJ is just getting up to operating temp (and even that range is about 20-30 degrees) and then getting shut down, the oil isn't full warmed up yet.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
^^^
Yes some are confusing water temp-vs- getting engine ( oil etc ) warmed up properly
Plus chugging along at slow speeds here again, the 3.7s like to be ran harder than others

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
By best advice would be to clean it up and then go for a good 30 min highway drive and let 'er breathe. I redline mine almost daily if I get a chance to.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
By best advice would be to clean it up and then go for a good 30 min highway drive and let 'er breathe. I redline mine almost daily if I get a chance to.

Same here at least once a day its up in the upper limits and running great !
Plus of course regular 800 mile round trips on a regular basis running 75-80 help as well. :happy175:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you using a good full synthetic engine oil? You absolutely with the small pcv must heat the KJ up big time, otherwise condensation becomes what you see mixed with the oil blow by.
The Small pcv system seems to produce lots of blow & if the gunk is that bad in the filler cap the PCV will be plugged big time.
60771[/ATTACH]"]

There is a technical service bulletin regarding this. The fix updates to the 2007 system with no pcv attached to the filler neck.
Link1: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/pcv-positive-crancase-ventilation-tsb-59367/
Link 2: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/upgrade-your-pcv-system-tsb-25-001-08-a-59416/
Even with the new filler neck & larger PCV I allow the Jeep to get nice & toasty each time I drive it too.
It seems to like hitting red line, as already mentioned.

Attachments

• aGiRPtI.jpg
    aGiRPtI.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 0

HatterMT

Reaction score
Even with the new filler neck & larger PCV I allow the Jeep to get nice & toasty each time I drive it too.
It seems to like hitting red line, as already mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Stupid question: When you say “red line” you mean RPM or engine temp?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Engine RPM

Never wanna hit the red coolant temp line or even go above half.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There's also some people on BITOG forums that have experimented with different oils (dino and synthetic) and they didn't conclude much.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving short distances definitely is a huge factor in this. When I was driving around a hundred miles for work 5 days a week there was no gunk in the oil filler neck whatsoever.
Now I got a job here in town, and the oil filler looks like the pictures in the first post. (Regardless of outside temperature, and still doing regular oil changes, replacing PCV, etc).

Latest posts

Members online