Grinding in the front when in 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepinaz

Reaction score
2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7 142k miles.

I bought this Liberty used a month ago. I took it out 4-wheeling for the first time this weekend. Nothing real rough. Mainly on a washboard dirt road. On my way down the mountain yesterday it suddenly started to make a loud grinding noise, like a beer can being ripped apart. Sounded like it might be coming from the front wheel wells. I took it out of part-time 4x4 and put it into 2-wheel drive. The grinding noise went away entirely and I was able to complete my 50 mile drive home with no issues.

I've had someone say it's probably the CV on the front driveshaft (propshaft) at the transfer case, as this is a common failure with the Liberty. I had someone else say that since the noise goes away when not in 4x4 that it probably is NOT the driveshaft, but the CV axles up front.

Worth noting: at the beginning of the trip I had several fast water crossings deep enough to submerge the driveshaft, but not too deep. Possible that I washed away all the grease leading to metal on metal a few miles later?

What do you all think? Driveshaft or axles? Thanks a lot for your responses.

TomB985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7 142k miles.

I bought this Liberty used a month ago. I took it out 4-wheeling for the first time this weekend. Nothing real rough. Mainly on a washboard dirt road. On my way down the mountain yesterday it suddenly started to make a loud grinding noise, like a beer can being ripped apart. Sounded like it might be coming from the front wheel wells. I took it out of part-time 4x4 and put it into 2-wheel drive. The grinding noise went away entirely and I was able to complete my 50 mile drive home with no issues.

I've had someone say it's probably the CV on the front driveshaft (propshaft) at the transfer case, as this is a common failure with the Liberty. I had someone else say that since the noise goes away when not in 4x4 that it probably is NOT the driveshaft, but the CV axles up front.

Worth noting: at the beginning of the trip I had several fast water crossings deep enough to submerge the driveshaft, but not too deep. Possible that I washed away all the grease leading to metal on metal a few miles later?

What do you all think? Driveshaft or axles? Thanks a lot for your responses.

When the wheels are straight, the halfshaft CV joints aren't doing much of anything. The joints work when they are transmitting power at an angle, otherwise they behave like a straight shaft.

it's relatively common for the boot to tear on the rearward driveshaft CV joint, and this joint is always operating at an angle. Sounds to me like the boot was torn, and it filled with water when it submerged. That would cause damage real quick, but it would be much less noticeable when it's not transmitting power. Get underneath and take a look, but my money would be on the driveshaft CV joint.

MarkHammond

Reaction score
Need to replace front driveshaft rear CV joint on 03 Ltd and have read many of the threads (very helpful!) and have a couple of questions.

There are a number of reports of folks replacing the CV joint and having it fail a short time later (from online reviews, this seems to happen to both the $30 and $100/Dorman versions). Is that likely due to the part or the re-assembly/installation?

Does it matter which CV grease is used? Is the $20 Red Line worth it vs the stuff that comes with the kits?

Is there anything to look out for when packing the grease in? Can you put too much in?

A few comments noted the CV joint was hot after driving for a bit and possibly there was a "break-in" period needed - is that needed (and if so, does it help to drive in only 2WD only for a while to put less stress on it?)?

Thanx in advance for the comments and Wisdom!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Need to replace front driveshaft rear CV joint on 03 Ltd and have read many of the threads (very helpful!) and have a couple of questions.

There are a number of reports of folks replacing the CV joint and having it fail a short time later (from online reviews, this seems to happen to both the $30 and $100/Dorman versions). Is that likely due to the part or the re-assembly/installation?

Does it matter which CV grease is used? Is the $20 Red Line worth it vs the stuff that comes with the kits?

Is there anything to look out for when packing the grease in? Can you put too much in?

A few comments noted the CV joint was hot after driving for a bit and possibly there was a "break-in" period needed - is that needed (and if so, does it help to drive in only 2WD only for a while to put less stress on it?)?

Have done a bunch with the 30-40 dollar ones and they work fine, just have to do it right

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I used ones I found for $50ish for front and rear. Put them in last year at our old shop during a snow storm. Used 4wd on the way home and haven't yet had any issues. No break in period as far as I know.

MarkHammond

Reaction score
Thanx for the feedback. I took a look underneath and both CV boots on the front driveshafts are intact - could the CV joint still be bad? Getting a vibration in 2WD that starts at around 40 mph and gets worse with speed. In 4WD there's a pronounced thumping that matches the wheels turning, like something (front driveshaft/cv) is out of round - so no 4WD for me.

Next step is take off front driveshaft and see if the vibration goes away.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea to check the passenger side CV axle where it plugs into the diff.

How much can you pry the passenger side inboard CV up and down? The intermediate shaft and inner axle bearing/bushing could be worn.

EDIT: You can take out the entire front drivetrain and see if the noise goes away. BTDT. :gr_grin:

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanx for the feedback. I took a look underneath and both CV boots on the front driveshafts are intact - could the CV joint still be bad? Getting a vibration in 2WD that starts at around 40 mph and gets worse with speed. In 4WD there's a pronounced thumping that matches the wheels turning, like something (front driveshaft/cv) is out of round - so no 4WD for me.

Next step is take off front driveshaft and see if the vibration goes away.

My 05 does this a bit but not terrible (yet). Seems to stop above 65mph. I pulled the front driveshaft and it didn't help but you should try it with yours. Funny thing is that it seemed worse before I pulled and reinstalled the front dshaft??? :emotions34:

MarkHammond

Reaction score
(delayed reply...) Pulled front driveshaft and vibration did go away. Boot was intact, but... the metal end cap of the CV joint to the transfer case had a ~1 inch hole in it?! Don't understand why, it's not exposed. But the grease was all gone, bearings were dry, even the c-clip was partially gone. Finally, ordered a replacement CV joint kit from Driveshaft Parts and will be replacing next weekend along with rear drive shaft u-joints. Now am getting a brief, intermittent vibration/shudder sometimes when driving over 30 mph. Hoping it's rear u-joints (can't be front drive shaft, since it's not on).