Grill guard / front bumper upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking around for ideas on upgrading my '02 front bumper with a grill guard or complete replacement with a metal one. Would love to see pictures of what you guys have come up with, as well as what you like/don't like about them. Ideally want to mount a winch to it.

Getting hooked on modifications for this little buggy!

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only real options are ARB, Backbone, or fab one yourself
Depends on what you want to pay and what look you want, all of which are good options if done right
I just have a bull bar for looks/hold my light bar and it's been great for what I use it for, obviously it couldn't have a winch mounted to it but I never had the desire to get one

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Z BEST ONE is ARB
protects the front like nothing else can
put mine through heck and back and never gave up, deer, toyotas, GMC pickups and it kept going
Be careful, most of the cosmetic grill guards you mount them where the tow hooks go, so then no way to pull ya out if you ever need it
Also check out the Matrix Brush Guard from jeepinbyal does a good job as well but of course not as good as the ARB

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a fan of anything that covers up the grill. Why buy a jeep and then hide those iconic 7 slits?! Lol. But my opinion is based on looks alone not function. And i've put time and money into making my grill stand out.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a fan of anything that covers up the grill. Why buy a jeep and then hide those iconic 7 slits?! Lol. But my opinion is based on looks alone not function. And i've put time and money into making my grill stand out.

For protection, example, my ARB killed 4 deer at different times, one Toyota Camry that pulled out in front of me then dead stopped ( yes had to be towed away ) , and one GMC pickup. Each one would of set me back at least my deductible of 500 bucks so thats 3000 dollars. Plus the trees I pushed aside while 4 wheeling etc.
So anything that will protect the front some will always have a place on most of my KJs

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z BEST ONE is ARB
protects the front like nothing else can
put mine through heck and back and never gave up, deer, toyotas, GMC pickups and it kept going
Be careful, most of the cosmetic grill guards you mount them where the tow hooks go, so then no way to pull ya out if you ever need it
Also check out the Matrix Brush Guard from jeepinbyal does a good job as well but of course not as good as the ARB

...good to know on the grill guards, don't want to tie up my towing option!

The ARBs look so heavy - do they pull the front end down too much and get you stuck or nearly so?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
...good to know on the grill guards, don't want to tie up my towing option!

The ARBs look so heavy - do they pull the front end down too much and get you stuck or nearly so?

They are about 100 lbs so yes you have to upgrade your suspension. But then you need to anyways since the suspension is more than likely sagged 1/2 inch to an inch
The Matrix Brush guard doesn't weigh too much and can be ran on stock suspension, plus has great tow points built in