Greetings of humble Wisdom

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowtie 77

Reaction score
Hi guys, new member here. I own a 06 Liberty, and have owned many Jeeps over the years. I enjoy the vast info you guys have on the Liberty. So, i was in 2 different Jeep/ Off road clubs for about 10 years, ending about 8 years ago. I swore i would not " wheel" my Liberty like i did my Cherokee back in the day, not because i dont like it, but because it became expensive for the amount of off road areas in my area, and i became old. ( But, of course, now i am thinking of going to Moab someday, and would love to take my KJeep.) Now i know all the pitfalls of Cherokee's and Tj's , which is mostly what was in our club, but not enough about kj. When i read posts on the forums, i re live the old days, which includes all the excitement of fixing up a Jeep and of course the steep learning curve of changing the engineering of the limited geometry of a vehicle. I would like to make a few suggestions, based on past experience, and some good advice i have seen posted here. First is dont skimp on projects, but, only if you can afford it. Second, Figure out what your end goal is for your Jeep, ( i know things can change) If you want just an improved Jeep with good looks, like chrome and body enhancements, nice interior etc., and only drive on the streets, then dont spend money on big tires and gearing, unless thats just your thing. If, however you plan to off road, then you need to decide how much and how hard you wanna hit the dirt, if you can. Cuz, off roading is addictive, and that means More addiction, and means more money. I dont know if the Liberty will ever enjoy the aftermarket support that other Jeep models do, but i have been somewhat impressed with videos i have seen of Liberty's on mild trails in Utah and elsewhere. One last thing, if you plan to wheel off road a lot and have a limited budget, i will say, that the most dramatic improvement i did to my previous Jeep, was to add a rear locker, and then a front locker soon after that. Lockers, ground clearance and an easy touch on the skinny pedal, will go a long way, literally, when it comes to offroading. But if you plan a lot of rock crawling, then strength in the drivetrain, and lift is very important, vs running around in the soft dirt of the midwest or down south. Having said all that, do what you can afford and enjoy the hell out of it, life is shorter than you think, seems just like yesterday i was a young man, but it was much longer than that. My Humble, .02 cents, fwiw :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
?????
You are still young, LOL and I wheel KJs all the time, plus DD mine daily, only thing I own if 3 KJs since 2004
4 inch lifted, regeared, locked, etc my DD for over 9 years

sparky27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I have learned quite a few tricks on this website and it has saved me plenty of money as well as prevented me from making dumb/wasteful decisions on things pertaining to my KJ.

I don't have lockers or anything just 4wd with bld, a modest lift and some 30" tires. I take my KJ out wheeling and 2 tracking sometimes and I love it. I also don't beat on it though and I'm the guy who gets out and puts a stick in the mud to see where ruts are and how deep it is.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I have learned quite a few tricks on this website and it has saved me plenty of money as well as prevented me from making dumb/wasteful decisions on things pertaining to my KJ.

I don't have lockers or anything just 4wd with bld, a modest lift and some 30" tires. I take my KJ out wheeling and 2 tracking sometimes and I love it. I also don't beat on it though and I'm the guy who gets out and puts a stick in the mud to see where ruts are and how deep it is.

Then you've already learned quite a bit. Being cautious and having fun are not mutually exclusive.wrc.gif

Latest posts

Members online