Greetings from the Great White North

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timothy James

Reaction score
Bought a new-to-me 2005 Sport;125,000 km on it right now. Bone stock, it was a replacement for a 2005 Mazda Tribute. Haven't driven a RWD vehicle in about 20 yrs (I am spoiled somewhat by front wheel drive!) Winter's coming; we'll see what it has in store...

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ll like the Jeep. If you do any maintenance under the hood you’ll be extremely happy. I had the “pleasure” of changing spark plugs on my friend’s Tribute once. It took us hours because I had to disassemble and remove the intake manifold to reach the back 3. On the 3.7L in the Liberty it’s a piece of cake. 30 mins tops and that is on your first try.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
There are 2 systems, Command Trac which is a Part Time 4x4= made for slippery surfaces, grass / mud/ snow gravel etc ONLY.
Does Your handle look like this? (command trac)
You must be registered for see images attach

The other is Selec-Trac will have 4 full time on handle, which one do you have?
You can online get your build sheet here by entering in your VIN Number. https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing
Do you have the owners manual for your 2005 KJ ?

Timothy James

Reaction score
According to the owner's manual, I have the Command-Trac with the handle on the console as shown. Not only do I have the owner's manual, I have the funky little canvas bag it goes in.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Good to have the original owner manual ! Auto transmission or 6 speed manual ?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you had a chance to use the 4WD yet?
So when the lever is down you are in 2 hi or rear wheel drive.
To engage 4 hi (4WD) I'm generally moving slowly straight forward, place the transmission into Neutral, then pull up on lever, and then move transmission back to the D or drive position.
Part time light should be on.
To disengage 4WD Trans back into neutral, push down on lever, trans back into drive, Part time light should be off.
Keep in mind that command trac is for slippery surfaces only and not for bare pavement, otherwise binding will occur. You don't want to damage the transfer case.
4 low (I call it slow) I have used off road especially on steep downward hills, which is very good, crawl speed, trans even in 1st gear.