Greetings from the couch!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Maxwell

Reaction score
I just inherited an 06 Liberty Sport with 62k on the clock. Previously ran a 94 Cherokee up to 200k, hope to do the same with this ride. Aside from a spark plug, coil pack, air filter and an oil change, it doesn’t seem to need much. Found some “weepy” fittings on the transmission cooler lines, but a trip to utube will show me the way. Looking forward to a trip to the beach, as soon as it opens up.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
60k, that jeep will be good for years ahead. What beach are you close to? What color is the Jeep?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Silver very clean Michael, nice! I'm in BC Canada and never knew that you could even drive on the beach in Oregon.
I've driven past on i5 but never drove the coast, which I've heard is very beautiful.
Any future mods planned?

Michael Maxwell

Reaction score
Roof rack and a bull bar (to tie down kayaks). It came with a trailer hitch so I’m ahead of the game already. You can drive on the beach on the north coast by Astoria, Pacific City, and further South- Florence, Reedsport, North Bend. In the Dunes National Recreation Area.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting, I'll have to look into those areas, I suppose normally in the summer months it's packed with tourists. June or Sept sounds good tho LOL.
Until the border's re-open along with the Parks, I'm not going anywhere soon by the looks if it.
Having a Kayak tied down then launching in the ocean is good fun and exercise! Watch out for Sea Lions though!

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! My first recommendation is make sure you always run the HOAT coolant. As you explore the forum you will see why. I love my '06...enjoy.

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put my 06 Liberty back together it had a bad radiator and water pump... Because there was nothing but water in the system when I got it I put in standard "green" antifreeze in it... I have driven the Jeep for 2 years without any problems with the cooling system... I believe that the HOAT coolant was used because of the "save our earth" mandates forced upon the manufactures... My cooling system did not have any HOAT in it so "mixing" wasn't a problem...

I also have a 2016 Chrysler 200s with the 2.4L I4 engine that was a salvage car... that was hit hard in the front... I replaced radiator/condenser/hoses along with a bunch of aluminum and plastic body parts... filled it also with standard green coolant and have had no cooling problems

I also changed the AC refrigerant from R1234yf ($40 for 8oz) to R134 ($4.00 for 12oz) after replacing the AC compressor (damaged in the accident)... Flushed the system added the proper PAG oil for R134 after evacuating the system and it also works properly... I had to use different ends to match the connections on the R1234yf system but used the same gauges and vacuum pump... No problems with excessive system pressure or freezing over on hot days and it is cold....
Like the coolant the refrigerant was mandated by our government during manufacturing... The chemical composition of R134 and R1234yf is very similar ...The R1234yf is supposed to break down faster in the upper atmosphere than the R134 (the "ozone" problem(s) ) but I now have an AC system that is under 3 yrs old and has NO leaks... If changing back to R134 the system needs flushed as the PAG oils are different but the system parts are EXACTLY the same...I compared FCA part #s from 2005 to 2006 (change date) and fittings are different...that's all...
Government mandates are the differences... I service my own cars/trucks/jeeps so I don't need to worry about that...

Dave

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will let the Experts here explain why HOAT is being used on the KJs but I think it has something to do with "cavitation" in the water pump which causes it to fail...maybe why your pump had failed!

I personally would flush out the green stuff and use the correct HOAT mixture...I have just bought some Mopar HOAT mix from the Dealers at a ridiculous price ie. very expensive but the Motor Spare Places here in SA are very limited in supplying items such as this!o_O

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup Hoat or Zerex G-05 Please. Hoat is ph balanced friendly, for cast iron block with aluminum heads.
Using the wrong coolant can damage the water pump due to plastic impellers used inside OEM pumps.
You must be registered for see images attach