Greasing JBA Upper Control Arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLackWidowKJ

Reaction score
I posted this on lostjeeps.com. That forum does not appear to be very active so I am re posting it here. I hope that is okay?

I am completely new to all of this and just trying to make sure I do things the right way.

How do you grease the Upper Control Arms from Jeeping By Al? I've heard you need to grease them and just recently got a set installed. I believe they are the 4.5 model. I had them installed by a friend who didn't keep the instructions that came with the kit. I assume in the instructions it told how to grease them, what grease to use and how often to grease them.

I know this is a stupid question. This is my first 4x4 and first time ever modding a vehicle so I want to make sure I do all the proper maintenance with the Upper Control Arms to make my investment last longer. I feel stupid making this my first post but I would rather my post be me asking how to do something obvious and simple instead of asking how to repair something that broke from negelegence. (please don't flame me to hard)

Any help on exactly where to grease or photos of where to put the grease along with how would be nice. I looked over them and couldn't really figure where I would grease anything or where would hold grease.

The below picture is not mine but I assume the blue part is what I fill with grease maybe? if so how do I get it in there? or is that not where I put anything at all?

You must be registered for see images attach

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the top is a grease zerk aka nipple. put a grease gun on it pump till you feel it in the boot.

Then regrease every couple of months or after offroading. Couple pumps will do and wipe off excess.

BLackWidowKJ

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the quick response. So what I need to purchase is something simliar to this correct? From my understanding I can use Wheel Bearing Grease, yes?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, the devout will go buy something that has NLGI 2 or GCLB or something like that are the tube.

In all seriousness, bad grease is better then no grease. Any chassis grease will be fine as long as its softer then cheese but not flows at room temperature.

If all you grease is your UBJ, that tube will last you for a decade.

BLackWidowKJ

Reaction score
I got the grease gun and some grease. I am going to go out on a limb here and say I need new UCA ball joints. After about the third press of the grease gun handle I noticed grease coming out from underneath. Opposite end of where the Zert is. The side with the boot. Did this on both sides. I am betting that's not supposed to happen huh?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
It's normal. It's how I gauge whether or not I've added enough grease... when I see the overflow coming out

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
It's normal. It's how I gauge whether or not I've added enough grease... when I see the overflow coming out

Yep. There is usually a spot for this. I know the Moog I recently put on had a release point for excess grease. I give it a few squirts and it shows on the one side. Check the boot and make sure it is seated properly and make sure it isn't torn but other than that it sounds okay to me.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup it can get a bit nasty for dropping chunks after greasing...I just give it a wipe after driving a while or just let it be.
I have noticed that if you drive often in rain, I want to grease 4.5's more often to keep the water out.
I use the red Penzoil..(for matching color of the A-Arms lol)
49062[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• Penzoil707L.jpg
    Penzoil707L.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0