Grease fittings for lower ball joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack Bryant

Reaction score
Morning time to you. I installed lower control arms on my 2002 KJ , when I tried to install zerk fitting didn't get 90 degree fittings with ball joint. There is no way to grease fittings that came with joints. I was wondering if I have to change ball joint or can I get 90 degree fitting in there

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Bought the wrong ball joints,
you got them for a 2 wheel drive
The correct Moogs come out the front

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Since you do not have the year posted we have to guess which ball joint you need since there is a change in numbers over the years

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
LOWER BALL JOINTS 4WD ( GREASEABLE )
02-04 K3199
05-07 K80767
If my old brain is working this afternoon ;)

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
Todd is correct as I am putting mine back together after the lower front passenger ball joint came loose and separated. Turns out that was due to the mechanic not putting the cotter pin it ! It took a year and 7 months for it to work loose. But I bought the Moog K-3199’s and if you read the instructions that come with them, it gives you the proper orientation for joints. On the boot, in miniature writing is says to install with the notched side facing inward toward the engine. After setting the new joint in the steering knuckle I noticed that if I put the notched boot squarely facing the engine, you wouldn’t be able to get a grease gun on the fitting as it would be cocked toward the wheel too much. So we rotated the ball joint clockwise about an 1/8 of a turn so the zerk fitting will be accessible. Getting ready to install the new jack shaft and then hopefully get the knuckle hooked up. I don’t have a spring compressor that will fit my stock coil springs so it’s always a challenge getting it all hooked back up. But I think if I get everything except the upper control arm hooked up first, I should be able to just jack up the lower arm and they should mate pretty easy. I’ll advise outcome later.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boots can be rotated on ball joints if need be to get the zerk and boot notch facing the way you like. Notch inboard as stated, zerk forward, back, slightly off angle, i don't think it matters as long as you can grease it without disassembly. You want notch inboard so when grease squeezes out it's not towards your brakes.

edward678

Reaction score
I bought an 05 couple mths ago w 120 k miles. Well taken care of for NE Ohio. PO receipts for fluid film every 2-3 yrs. Only brake pedal and paint finish below fuel door shows age. Thought while traveling at 45 - 50 I had a left front tire **** out. Upon looking I see broken lower ball joint. Stud that points down cut thru alum wheel and punctured tire sidewall. Threads for fitting but no fitting. Checked other side. Same thing. Lack of grease fitting would probably not help? Maybe 2wd vs 4wd ball joint not as strong? Replaced left with MOOG and will soon do other side with same. May be able to see piece of aluminum rim in top right of 2nd picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20220128_143401.jpg
    IMG_20220128_143401.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220112_091748.jpg
    IMG_20220112_091748.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 16

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought an 05 couple mths ago w 120 k miles. Well taken care of for NE Ohio. PO receipts for fluid film every 2-3 yrs. Only brake pedal and paint finish below fuel door shows age. Thought while traveling at 45 - 50 I had a left front tire **** out. Upon looking I see broken lower ball joint. Stud that points down cut thru alum wheel and punctured tire sidewall. Threads for fitting but no fitting. Checked other side. Same thing. Lack of grease fitting would probably not help? Maybe 2wd vs 4wd ball joint not as strong? Replaced left with MOOG and will soon do other side with same. May be able to see piece of aluminum rim in top right of 2nd picture.
Wrong ball joints again, you have the two wheel drive ones as well
They couldn't install zerk's as they wouldn't fit
just as strong, but no grease and a hole open for cr ap to get in wears them out fast

MOOG (for 05-07) K80767

edward678

Reaction score
Wrong ball joints again, you have the two wheel drive ones as well
They couldn't install zerk's as they wouldn't fit

MOOG (for 05-07) K80767
I know they are the wrong ones. But not until one failed. I saw the recall. I called 2 dealerships in Ohio within 50 miles with vin. Both told me recall was performed on XX/XX/2007 , but when I asked which dealership performed the replacement work there was a few seconds of silence. Then the kicker reply: " computer doesn't say ". Maybe the computers speaker was malfunctioning. How about the Service Dept is malfunctioning putting the wrong ball joints in, hoping they will fail again so they can make money NEXT time. Oh yes, both reps said one time replacement on recalls.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One reason why I never take any of mine in for recalls
Haven't done that for over 50 years

edward678

Reaction score
One reason why I never take any of mine in for recalls
Haven't done that for over 50 years
Have only taken one vehicle in myself. Three times. A spanking new Chrysler Acclaim 4 cylinder turbo. Was overheating on my wife on her way to work a couple of times. After second time back to dealership ( into 3rd month of owning) I literally threw the keys at the salesman and said, " Keep it as long as you want, I'll keep making payments, just DO NOT GIVE IT BACK until YOU know it's fixed. About a weak later and was told by salesman that one of the "computers" was replaced. Never an issue after that. Was a great car.

Omargz

Reaction score
Morning time to you. I installed lower control arms on my 2002 KJ , when I tried to install zerk fitting didn't get 90 degree fittings with ball joint. There is no way to grease fittings that came with joints. I was wondering if I have to change ball joint or can I get 90 degree fitting in there
I tried the 90 degree zerk fitting. It hits the cvc hub also. The rotor would not turn, had to pull everything apart. Then added some grease and found a ceil fan screw for the fan blades fit. The one for the left side was I needed picture is without the zerk fitting installed. NAPA ordered two more lower ball joints, and neither had the fitting on the side. They said the parts have a lifetime warranty. I’m not sure l want to do all the work when the Jeep has 172k on now, if this one fails NAPA will give new one for free..

Attachments

• D257D1E3-0607-40B9-8ECE-DEFC5835BE18.jpeg
    D257D1E3-0607-40B9-8ECE-DEFC5835BE18.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 10
  • C62E1AD0-D22E-4CC4-BAB2-0BD26274A9E9.jpeg
    C62E1AD0-D22E-4CC4-BAB2-0BD26274A9E9.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

edward678

Reaction score
I tried the 90 degree zerk fitting. It hits the cvc hub also. The rotor would not turn, had to pull everything apart. Then added some grease and found a ceil fan screw for the fan blades fit. The one for the left side was I needed picture is without the zerk fitting installed. NAPA ordered two more lower ball joints, and neither had the fitting on the side. They said the parts have a lifetime warranty. I’m not sure l want to do all the work when the Jeep has 172k on now, if this one fails NAPA will give new one for free..
Need proper orientation when installing. I believe the "MOOG" part has proper orientation details on instructions. If not I would do more research on orientation. Mine worked fine when installed.

edward678

Reaction score
It's kinda funny that "lifetime" is used in your comment. My drivers side lower ball joint failure was at 50 mph. Ended up sideways in someone's driveway, opposite side of road. LUCKILY no oncoming traffic.

Omargz

Reaction score
The problem was that NAPA gave two different lower ball joints, and I didn’t realize that until installed with 90 degree zerk fitting. It was making contact with the CVC hub. When I started the driver side is when I noticed that it had the zerk fitting on the side.. I should have looked all the part’s before starting.