Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tire LT245/75R16E 120Q

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hate Walmart, but love this thread pattern. Anyone familiar with these tires?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-Authority-Tire-LT245-75R16/11983159#about

I realize I will probably get a little rubbing sitting at 20.5" front and 21.0" rear, but I can easily add another 0.5"-0.75" if necessary.

You'll need more than an inch and a half to run that size.
Need at least 2.5 inches and then pound over the pinch weld and possibly heat and bend some plastic around.
They are about the same as the Duratracs ( which are an excellent tire) but made for Walma*t
I looked at both and chose the Duratracs over those

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently running these. But mine are 235/75/16 because of the lack of lift lol. Just took them through a couple of inches of snow 2 nights ago and they handled pretty well for how bad the conditions were.
Still think I should've went with the duratracs though

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 31x10.5 right now and I love them
Handling is way better, especially with my 4.5" backspaced wheels and they've done great in the rain so far
Can't wait for snow to come around to see how they do but I'm sure they'll do great
I was going to get the General Grabbers but chose these due to brand reliablility and better tread pattern/depth
The only thing that ***** is they give out no warranty with them at all unless you pay more for Walmart's warranty- which I couldn't get that either because they wouldn't install the tires (thought they wouldn't fit)
I pounded the pinch weld and I've had the front bumper trimmed for a while now and zero rubbing

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran 235/70R16 General Grabbers before the 1.5"-2" lift and never rubbed. Pretty sure I can easily run 1" taller and 0.5"-0.75" wider with no problem after the lift.

Grabber Specs:
235/70R16
106T SL
640 A B

2,094 lbs. 44 psi 13/32" 33 lbs. 6.5-8" 7" 9.4" 7.3" 29.2" 714

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't go off of the tire specs online anyway because all tires are different depending on tread pattern
People said I couldn't run 31x10.5 without molding the fender liner and other things and I don't rub one bit
Also gas mileage has changed maybe 10-15 mpg after putting these on
I'd get a wheel with better back spacing later on as well to give you better handling with the lift
My setup is perfect for the amount of lift I have

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need more than an inch and a half to run that size.
Need at least 2.5 inches and then pound over the pinch weld and possibly heat and bend some plastic around.
They are about the same as the Duratracs ( which are an excellent tire) but made for Walma*t
I looked at both and chose the Duratracs over those

Always planned to just go up one size to 235/75R16 or 245/70R16, but really liked the tread pattern and price on the "Walmarters". They're offered in limited sizes though.

I'll probably just sell off my almost new 235/70R16 Grabbers and go with 245/70R16 Grabbers. Really impressed with the Grabbers. Wouldn't be my choice for mud, but awesome for snow, sand, gravel and rocks(cautiously). A little noisy on the road, but very sure footed on both wet and dry pavement.

I really like the Duratracs, but not sure they're worth the extra $$$'s for the very limited mud running I do. Ran lots of what I call "directional tread diggers" over the years and love em except in the sand even aired down. Always better to float on sand instead of dig. As long as you know how to drive your vehicle and the tires on it the diggers will get you through a lot more of the ugly s%*! though.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Always planned to just go up one size to 235/75R16 or 245/70R16, but really liked the tread pattern and price on the "Walmarters". They're offered in limited sizes though.

I'll probably just sell off my almost new 235/70R16 Grabbers and go with 245/70R16 Grabbers. Really impressed with the Grabbers. Wouldn't be my choice for mud, but awesome for snow, sand, gravel and rocks(cautiously). A little noisy on the road, but very sure footed on both wet and dry pavement.

I really like the Duratracs, but not sure they're worth the extra $$$'s for the very limited mud running I do. Ran lots of what I call "directional tread diggers" over the years and love em except in the sand even aired down. Always better to float on sand instead of dig. As long as you know how to drive your vehicle and the tires on it the diggers will get you through a lot more of the ugly s%*! though.

Duratracs are not a mud tire, they're just avaerage in that respect, where they shine is daily driving and SNOW

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Large self cleaning gaps between the lugs. That's a mud tire to me unless you're looking to go with a "specific" mud tire that's not going to be very friendly on pavement, especially wet pavement. To each his own though.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Authority's have a deeper tread pattern than Duratracs and you don't call them mud terrains? They aren't but they sure have some deep/gapped tread
The guy at the alignment shop thought they were mud terrain but any A/T with deep tread and is spaced outside the fenders even a little bit will throw mud and clean them out
That's what good A/T tires SHOULD do- get rid of any debris possible so it doesn't build up and cause you to have less traction

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Large self cleaning gaps between the lugs. That's a mud tire to me unless you're looking to go with a "specific" mud tire that's not going to be very friendly on pavement, especially wet pavement. To each his own though.

They are not considered a mud tire nor are they advertised as such.
Having ran a set for over 100,000 miles I know full well how they react in snow, mud , wet roads, grass, dirt roads, sunshine dry roads etc .

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the looks of the Authority's and I won't lie that is important to me as well as the performance. Also, like the Duratracs and the Cooper Maxx Mud's. Honesty I don't know what I'll end up with. The Grabber's actually exceeded my expectations and I primarily went with them over several others I was considering only because I stumbled across a great price. Running studded 225/75's I*pikes for the winter so I have some time. Once again the only reason I went with the I*pikes was because I found them online at VIP for $68 per tire. Manager told me they probably lost money on them, but they still honored the price.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just get a good A/T and not worry about putting on snow and summer tires every year
A good quality tire will get you through what you need/want to go through but just like everything else you buy you get what you pay for
You'd be very happy with the Authority's or Duratracs

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always been a big fan of studded snow tires. Nothing beats them on ice, especial that overnight refreeze. Used to run them on my front wheel drive Saab 9.3's and I repeatedly drove by numerous 4x4's stuck on the side of the road. I literally drove through the middle of a blizzard one year when there were almost no other vehicles on the road. Those were the old Gislaved Nordfrost snow tires. Best snow tires ever made in my opinion.

If it wouldn't have been twice the cost I would have gone with a set of the Grabbers studded. Had a chance to try them unstudded in the snow before switching over and they really impressed me. I'll see how the I*Pikes do. If I don't like them I will switch over to a set of studded Grabbers and sell off the I*Pikes.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 31x10.5 right now and I love them
Handling is way better, especially with my 4.5" backspaced wheels and they've done great in the rain so far
Can't wait for snow to come around to see how they do but I'm sure they'll do great
I was going to get the General Grabbers but chose these due to brand reliablility and better tread pattern/depth
The only thing that ***** is they give out no warranty with them at all unless you pay more for Walmart's warranty- which I couldn't get that either because they wouldn't install the tires (thought they wouldn't fit)
I pounded the pinch weld and I've had the front bumper trimmed for a while now and zero rubbing

They won't mount any tire on any vehicle unless it is a stock size. I had to argue with them to mount 245/75/16's cuz the door label said 225/75/16 on an '01 Ram 1500. After they finally looked it up they seen it was an optional size and did them.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The way around that is you just roll the wheels in and let them mount and rollem back out. Tell them its for something else , covers their a** and they'll never know you're over in the next lot mounting your new tires:happy175:

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a shop right up the road that will mount and balance for $15 per tire including new valve stems. I trust them a lot more than wallyworld.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went on a few drifting "road test" cruises the past few days with these tires.
I'm running the Authoritys in 235/75/16s right now. And gotta say... pretty decent grip, but I'd put them at the same level as the General Grabbers.
Before the general grabbers I had Firestone winterforce tires and I would definitely recommend the winter force over them when it comes to more than 2 inches on the road.

That being said, they do catch decently coming out of spin outs, but you've gotta be ready for the kick to happen.. no sign with these, just up and spins.

Btw.. Walmart mounting works, but check how much weight they put on each tire.
My front drivers side has 6.5g on the outside, and 4.5g on the inside.
No tire should need this. If it's that far off, you simply take the tire off the rim, rotate it 180 degrees, remount it and see how far off the weight is now.
They lack in knowledge greatly but have the confidence to make you believe they're doing a good job.
Are the tires balanced? Yes. Are they correctly balanced? No.
Wallyworld lol.. Good to know someone else calls it that :happy175:

P.s. I paid 16 per tire at Walmart for mount/balance/valve stems.. so paying 15 per tire and knowing it's done correctly, sounds like the way to go to me lol