God another problem, fuel gauge reading wrong now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey every one The other day when I ran out of gas on the trails I put gas in it and it went above the 1/8 of a tank I took home and parked it and drove my boyfriends car for the rest the week... well I took his car and he had to go down the street and he ran out gas again when I told him it needs gas, so he put $10 gas in it and (hes never drove my jeep lol) and he got on the high way and came about 10 mile and ran out of gas again, so he put gas in it again and made it home but when I got in it today for work he said he only put $14 in it to get home but its reading a little below 1/4 of a tank and I know there ain't that much gas in it, But I'm guessing he ran it out so much it messed the fuel sending unit up??? correct me if I'm wrong I looked up prices and its only about $65 online for one so let me know what y'all think? I'm gonna fill it up today and put a bottle of fuel cleaner in it like Techron or Sea Foam, or I read to mix my gas regular with 91 to clean it but I don't know....

Also my boyfriend said it would run out of gas and then the gas light come on n chime

Last edited:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont know gas prices where you are but that sounds like some bad gas mileage some things to check would be a leak , fuel rail pressure maybe fuel filtet . Just seems 10 miles for $10 @ $4 per gal that would be 2.5 gal and that would be at least 30 miles

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$14 dollars of gas at 3.70 a gallon = 3.783 gallons. i propose the gas guage is reading correct, because it is a 20.5 gallon tank. and 3.783 gallons would be just below a quarter tank. i hope you didn't damage the fuel pump running it dry twice? maybe that is the cause of the drivability problems? good luck! mike

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you notice any drop in fuel mileage recently? Any CEL? Check for leaks? Did you hit the tank on something on the trail? I would check all of the above. Something is not right and I don't think it is your gauge.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nop didnt hit nothing on trail took it easy, and gas here is 3.35

this is $14 worth it says
3228-fuel-guage.jpg

boyfriend said when he put $10 in it before it only went to the 2 line in between the 1/4

put some Techron in it in hope of cleaning it and leave Friday for my float trip so Ill fill up then(gas is supposed to drop lol want to wait)
but I know i didn't hit nothing it was an easy trail, no drop in fuel miles or leaks don't smell gas only when I'm filling up so I don't know much on fuel systems will have to take this one in for a check!

Hey quick question ain't there supposed to be like a peace of metal blocking the hole where the gas pump thing goes?? mine don't have one, and I don't recall if it did my last fill up??

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're supposed to have around 4 gallons of gas in the tank when the low fuel light comes on. If he ran it out and only put a few gallons in the gas gauge probably didn't move much.

You may have burned up the fuel pump too or damaged it. The fuel keeps it cool.

Last edited:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that metal piece in the fill tube... I thought mine had one when I bought it, but it doesn't now. I saw another Liberty at the gas station once, and I looked at their fill tube, and they did have a metal piece in there. So not sure if it broke off or what. I haven't noticed any ill effects from it being gone, but I guess there is the possibility of it plugging something if it went down in the fuel tank.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, supposed to have 4 gallons when the light goes on, but once our gauge hits the 1/4 tank mark the needle drops like a rock...getting to 1/8th of a tank in less than 30 miles. Before larger tires I used to comfortably get 400 highway miles to the tank...which is what I used when the gauge got low (now with the larger tires I am more apt to fill up straight away and not wait.)

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FIXED IT LOL FILLED IT FULL OF GAS LET IT GET PAST THE LAST SPOT IT RAN OUT OF GAS N IT WAS STILL RUNNING. I think it just got stuck or something

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that metal piece in the fill tube... I thought mine had one when I bought it, but it doesn't now. I saw another Liberty at the gas station once, and I looked at their fill tube, and they did have a metal piece in there. So not sure if it broke off or what. I haven't noticed any ill effects from it being gone, but I guess there is the possibility of it plugging something if it went down in the fuel tank.

yeah ran in to a 2005 sport libby today asked if they had a metal thing in the fill tube and sure enough they did!!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Or maybe some model years have the flipper and some don't?

Oh and it's not 4 gallons....

It's 1/8th of a tank.... which is around 2.3-2.5 gallons.

Last edited:

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well my dealer said they want to put me in a newer one already because I'm having some problems but i love my libby! so they said the can see what they can do about either dropping the tank or sending a camera down!! so ill keep update on this
but it did run out of gas the other day on me this time no warning no low fuel and a it said it was at the 2 mark in the 1/4 area some one told me try lucus in the tank (my dad loved that shit!!) but I'm wondering if its because I park it on a small hill every day at home??

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I've heard of that. Parking on a hill with a small amount of gas in the tank... pump can't pick anything up and vehicle will refuse to start.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FIXED IT LOL FILLED IT FULL OF GAS LET IT GET PAST THE LAST SPOT IT RAN OUT OF GAS N IT WAS STILL RUNNING. I think it just got stuck or something

I had a similar problem with my fuel gauge for years but my problem simply disappeared on it's own.

It sounds like your gas tank float may have been stuck. And oddly your CapsLOck on your keyboard is stuck too :signs8: