Glow Plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mule4x4

Reaction score
I have 147,000 on my CRD...and am now running it with a Code P0671 ..Cylinder#1 Glow Plug Circuit" ...had it at the dealer and they recommended leaving it alone as the threads may strip if they tried to repair it. It srtarts just fine even when it's been out in cold weather..I just don't like having the check engine light on all the time ..and I could probably never sell it as no one would want a vehicle with a dash light on all the time. Not sure what I should do. does anyone else have any suggestions? If I decide to run it until the wheels fall off, it won't be a problem...just getting the itch for a new Wrangler..I've never had another issue with this vehicle. Thanks ....

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
You should take glow plug codes seriously if you have the original ceramic glowplugs. They tend to disintigrate causing damage to valves, rockers, and pistons.

Dealer solution is to replace ceramic glow plugs with 5 volt metal glowplugs, some control circuitry, and a computer reprogram.

Best solution is to replace with 7 volt metal Etecno glow plugs.

My glow plugs came out just fine without stripping. Avoid that dealer since they seem to be admitting their mechanics are hamfisted thread strippers. Not too much competence experienced at dealers when it comes to the CRD.

Last edited:

mule4x4

Reaction score
Thank You so much ...I'll inquire with friends that I have as to a GOOD mechanic who knows something about the Liberty CRD engine. I was "thinking" that maybe the mechanic at the dealer I went to wasn't the best....I'm confident I'll find someone, My brother is a retired mechanic from the St. Croix Cty. Highway Dept. and he questioned what I was told too. I'll let you know how this turns out!

benjfrance33

Reaction score
I've change my glowplugs by 4 Etecno but they crashed quickly.
So I went to my jeep dealer and He installed the update kit with 11.5V glowplugs. It requests to flash the ECU and costs 350 dollars.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've change my glowplugs by 4 Etecno but they crashed quickly.
So I went to my jeep dealer and He installed the update kit with 11.5V glowplugs. It requests to flash the ECU and costs 350 dollars.

Interesting!

Is this "upgrade kit" a Mopar product in France?

My 2002 Export CRD came standard with the 11 volt glow plugs and I have never had any problems at all compared to the USA owners who have had plenty problems with their 5 v or 7 v plugs!

I have been on some forums where some Austrian CRD owners were unhappy with the 5 volt or 7 volt system that their 2005/6 CRDs used so they were looking into downgrading to the older 11 volt system and I have had some owners asking me about the 11 volt upgrade/downgrade but I could not help them with any details of what was required!

benjfrance33

Reaction score
The kit is componed of:
4 11.5V glowplugs
A new relay
and you go to your jeep dealer because the ECU has to be flashed.
Before my CRd had the 4 ceramic glowplugs.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Are the 11.5v glowplugs ceramic or metal? Is that what was used for the 2.5 CRD?

Members online

No members online now.