Gibson Performance Cat back exhaust install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

karter

Reaction score
:D Bought my 05 several weeks ago and have been playing with it ,tune-up, fluid change , fixed a few minor things . The exhaust system was still functional ,but , I thought I'd install a cat back system . I've used Magnaflow , Flowmaster ,so I thought I'd try a system from Gibson Performance . Luckily , Summit Racing is about 20 min. away and they had the exhaust in stock . Went up Saturday and picked it up and installed the exhaust in about an hour Sunday morning . No problems removing the muffler and tailpipe .2 bolts on the flange to the Y-pipe (seafoamed them the day before] but you can just hacksaw or grind them in half if there too rusty to wrench off . Also used a sawsall to cut the tailpipe off just behind the muffler . Again a little Seafoam or WD 40 on the hangers to slip them out . Install was simple but does require the rear of the vehicle to be raised with the axle hanging to aid in removing the old tailpipe and install of the new pipe . [1] installed tailpipe first [2] install flange to Y-pipe ,leave slightly loose [3] slip muffler in place ,move everything around to get proper alignment , snug front flange and muffler clamps ,check tailpipe alignment and give a final tightening to all of the bolts . THe only 2 things I didn't like about the system [1] the tailpipe extended past the rear bumper about 4" and a tailpipe tip that goes over the tailpipe . I used the sawsall to cutoff 8" of tailpipe and went back to Summit today to buy a shorter tip . The tip that came with the exhaust was 2.5"x3.5" x 12", I went with a 2.5"x 3"x 8" tip . Overall impression is this is a very nice system with a couple of miscues ,namely the extra length of the tailpipe and the tuner look of the 3.5" tip . You can hear the exhaust but it doesn't have the Drone that my Magnaflow has . It is the stainless system and like Flowmaster the muffler is baffled but not packed with steelwool or fiberglass like some other systems . Again my only dislike is having to spent another $40 bucks for an exhaust tip that shouldhave come with the kit to begin with . Also ,Thanks to everyone for their imput to this site ,I've learned a great deal very quickly . :D

Latest posts

Members online