General Grabber AT2 3-day Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I've seen lots of people talking about these tires good and bad and figured I would get on here and talk about my experience with them.

So Friday I drove up to NY to my buddies shop where they were waiting for me in a stack by the front door. SUCH A PRETTY SIGHT.

You must be registered for see images

I immediately took one down and rolled it over to my truck to see how much visibly bigger it would be.

Super riffic! and we go to town installing them.

Thats my buddy who got the tires for me and helped me install them. Great guy, STS in Riverhead, NY, ask for Vic, he loves working on Jeeps!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Other side.

Head on with Vic's(my mech buddy) Titan in the background

So my stocker tires were 215/75R16s and the size grabbers i got are 245/70R16s. Not as high as the 75's but gets the width and some aggressiveness and I don't rub at all. They fit like a glove and look perfect (IMHO), only rub very minorly at full tilt but the stocks were doing that too.

Sadly I don't notice the height difference sitting in it, but what can you ask for with .75" more under your butt, hard to tell that (the tires themselves are 1.5" bigger in diameter than the stocks, you obviously only get half that added to your height). You can however tell that they are better handling wise. It's disgustingly sexy to me, hearing the rubber peeling off the pavement as I drive and turn. They grip REALLY well...I wasn't able to skid on dry pavement (although I admit didn't try too too hard). I especially love the noise. With quite deep knobs and an aggressive look I figured there'd be some decent highway mumble...but theres NOTHING. maybe <5dB of audible difference...that said at slower speeds <30mph you can definitely hear them louder but its not bothersome (10-20dB maybe).

So off I go for home, the drive to VA in the heat and middle of the day, a long 9 hour trek (usually takes 6 but i was tired, napped and lots of traffic), all the while enjoying my new tires. Extended highway performance is great, even had a near accident or 2, they handle high speed course correction and speed adjustments quite well. Actually had to hit the brakes hard at one point at the toll booth after the Delaware bridge and the woman behind me got rear ended cause we were stopping so fast and someone wasn't paying attention, but not me, I didn't lose grip. Like suction cups to the road baby.

So with my truck full, I decide to fill it more with groceries and of course, after I fill my cart to the brim, it starts to downpour. I get excited tho, get to test them in the rain! Get the truck loaded up, and take off in the parking lot, giving it more gas than I need. No loss of traction, and no skidding sideways at any point on the way home (again I didn't really go all out but I didn't need to, it was a slick downpour on starving ground, if they were going to slip they would have). A+ for that performance.

I really am having a love affair with these tires. I smile every time I walk outside and see them there, smiling back at me. Will update in a few weeks with their off-road capabilities (unfortunately I couldn't get on the beach because I don't have a dang sticker and wasn't about to pay 200 bucks to use it once.)

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait till you get to play in the snow with them! That was the most fun part for me when I had mine installed (besides the look of course).

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a long way to drive for a set of tires.....:eek:

I'm still working on getting some of our CC debt paid down so I can get a set of those on my '05 Renegade. I did things ass backwards, got new tires, then a couple months later got a lift, now my new tires are way too small.
Rolling on General Grabber HTS at 235/70-16, when I get the AT2's I'm going with 265/70's. I figure between the 2.5" lift, having my pinch welds beat over, 1.5" wheel spacers, and the front bumper trimmed, I shouldn't have any rubbing issues. When I do it, I'm going with all 5 so my spare is an exact match.....

Those Grabber AT2's are good tires at a far better price point than the BFG's, let me know how they handle the beach once you get out on the sand.....

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tires look good True.

Is that the real big parking lot next to the Peconic River in Riverhead?

Dave

h0use34

Reaction score
I have 245/70r16 Grabber AT2s on my KJ. Had them through last winter and they were amazing. No matter the weather these tires didn't slip once. In my off roading adventures I have done anything from mud to rocks to sand and have not had any major issues with the tires. Differentials on the other hand were my issue.

rallycom

Reaction score
Has anyone

I've got 35,000 miles on my set of Grabber AT2's (225/75R 16 4 ply) and they still have 50% of the tread left on them. This is one of the best tires I've owned on a 4x4!I've run Firestone AT's years ago then switched to Goodyear Wranglers, then to BF Goodrich AT TKO (ten ply), last year I switched over to the General Grabber AT2 (225/75R 16 4 ply) and feel this is the best tire around in $90. - $125. price range. That is of course talking about all around general use in the North East.
My question is has anyone run 245/75 16 10 ply on a KJ (2.5" lift), the 10 ply may be overkill for most driving but they don't make them in a 4 ply.
The 10 ply (245/75 16 - 30.7) weigh about 10 pounds more than the 4 ply (245/70R 16 - 29.7)

Thanks for the input

Rich, N2ZKX

Moab

Reaction score
I've got 35,000 miles on my set of Grabber AT2's (225/75R 16 4 ply) and they still have 50% of the tread left on them. This is one of the best tires I've owned on a 4x4!I've run Firestone AT's years ago then switched to Goodyear Wranglers, then to BF Goodrich AT TKO (ten ply), last year I switched over to the General Grabber AT2 (225/75R 16 4 ply) and feel this is the best tire around in $90. - $125. price range. That is of course talking about all around general use in the North East.
My question is has anyone run 245/75 16 10 ply on a KJ (2.5" lift), the 10 ply may be overkill for most driving but they don't make them in a 4 ply.
The 10 ply (245/75 16 - 30.7) weigh about 10 pounds more than the 4 ply (245/70R 16 - 29.7)

Thanks for the input

Rich, N2ZKX

I'm running 245 75 16 10 ply Grabber AT2's with a 3.75 lift up front.
Great tire.
I'm switching to 265 75 16 Maxxis Bighorn 762's for winter.
Here's the 245's with 2.5" lift:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the 245's with 2.5" lift:

Nice, that is about exactly the look I am wanting for my 04 KJ. What is the recipe for that lift? Springs/struts/shocks?

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone want an update? 15k miles on them, plus a good winter's worth of snow and weather...they do great! been off road a few times, and on the beach...only limitations are the size and my CV joints blowing up. Otherwise they have superb traction...rarely hydroplane, and great control in snow/sand. love em! will be getting the bigger size once I lift it.

staggerlee41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thrilled to discover this tire for my 2002 KJ and ditch the stock Goodyears. Once I picked those up, there was never a thought about looking for another tire. Those things performed well on the road and outstanding on trails and in snow. Can't knock the Goodrich T/A's, but this tire rivals it's performance in my opinion. And at a better price.

Picking up a 2011 and retiring the 2002, hoping to find these ones in my size by the time I need replacements.

Enjoy those AT2s man!

Jaime

Reaction score
General Grabbers AT2

This is my second set of General Grabbers but my first AT2. Love them! Great traction, good wear and good looks. Definitely will be getting 245/75/16 AT2's next year. I don't use them in winter as I already have tires just for winter's in Quebec. Recommend them, price is great.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 37
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 36

starrider06

Reaction score
I got 245/70r16's. they rub a little on the right side cuz the splash shield has been missing some clips for a while and it's sagging a little out of position. They are noisier than the BFG's, and ice traction is less also. Snow they work equally well. Not a bad tradeoff for the price difference in my opinion. If we get a lot of ice I just get my pickup with the BFG's (which are also siped) out of the garage and I'm happy. The at2's might also work better on ice with siping, but it's getting hard to find anyone to do it any more. The at2's seem to be a little bit harder rubber compound. I am a FIRM believer in the advantages of siping tires. Just remember it voids the tire's mileage warranty, and possibly any warranty on the tire, but it's never caused any issues for me and I've been doing it to my winter tires since forever.

WyldWolf777

Reaction score
Ok so I've seen lots of people talking about these tires good and bad and figured I would get on here and talk about my experience with them.

So Friday I drove up to NY to my buddies shop where they were waiting for me in a stack by the front door. SUCH A PRETTY SIGHT.

I immediately took one down and rolled it over to my truck to see how much visibly bigger it would be.

Thats my buddy who got the tires for me and helped me install them. Great guy, STS in Riverhead, NY, ask for Vic, he loves working on Jeeps!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Other side.

So my stocker tires were 215/75R16s and the size grabbers i got are 245/70R16s. Not as high as the 75's but gets the width and some aggressiveness and I don't rub at all. They fit like a glove and look perfect (IMHO), only rub very minorly at full tilt but the stocks were doing that too.

Sadly I don't notice the height difference sitting in it, but what can you ask for with .75" more under your ****, hard to tell that (the tires themselves are 1.5" bigger in diameter than the stocks, you obviously only get half that added to your height). You can however tell that they are better handling wise. It's disgustingly **** to me, hearing the rubber peeling off the pavement as I drive and turn. They grip REALLY well...I wasn't able to skid on dry pavement (although I admit didn't try too too hard). I especially love the noise. With quite deep knobs and an aggressive look I figured there'd be some decent highway mumble...but theres NOTHING. maybe <5dB of audible difference...that said at slower speeds <30mph you can definitely hear them louder but its not bothersome (10-20dB maybe).

So off I go for home, the drive to VA in the heat and middle of the day, a long 9 hour trek (usually takes 6 but i was tired, napped and lots of traffic), all the while enjoying my new tires. Extended highway performance is great, even had a near accident or 2, they handle high speed course correction and speed adjustments quite well. Actually had to hit the brakes hard at one point at the toll booth after the Delaware bridge and the woman behind me got rear ended cause we were stopping so fast and someone wasn't paying attention, but not me, I didn't lose grip. Like suction cups to the road baby.

So with my truck full, I decide to fill it more with groceries and of course, after I fill my cart to the brim, it starts to downpour. I get excited tho, get to test them in the rain! Get the truck loaded up, and take off in the parking lot, giving it more gas than I need. No loss of traction, and no skidding sideways at any point on the way home (again I didn't really go all out but I didn't need to, it was a slick downpour on starving ground, if they were going to slip they would have). A+ for that performance.

I really am having a love affair with these tires. I smile every time I walk outside and see them there, smiling back at me. Will update in a few weeks with their off-road capabilities (unfortunately I couldn't get on the beach because I don't have a dang sticker and wasn't about to pay 200 bucks to use it once.)
How are these on wet pavement, heavy rain?

WyldWolf777

Reaction score

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Other side.

Sadly I don't notice the height difference sitting in it, but what can you ask for with .75" more under your ****, hard to tell that (the tires themselves are 1.5" bigger in diameter than the stocks, you obviously only get half that added to your height). You can however tell that they are better handling wise. It's disgustingly **** to me, hearing the rubber peeling off the pavement as I drive and turn. They grip REALLY well...I wasn't able to skid on dry pavement (although I admit didn't try too too hard). I especially love the noise. With quite deep knobs and an aggressive look I figured there'd be some decent highway mumble...but theres NOTHING. maybe <5dB of audible difference...that said at slower speeds <30mph you can definitely hear them louder but its not bothersome (10-20dB maybe).

WyldWolf777

Reaction score

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Other side.