Gear swap question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cidghoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How difficult is a diff swap. Wanna swap gears out to 4.10's. I'm a competent trained mechanic, just haven't ever done it before and have changed job fields so dont have any info. Have a 2005 renegade. 3.7 auto.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just swapping the diff? no problem the carrier in the front bolts a little differently then tthe current one but the back axel is no issue.. took me about 4 hours all around to finish it up .

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If installing new gears etc its more than just dropping them in.
I'd find a good shop that knows how to properly set up the gears right.
Also the front diff has to be dropped down out to install the new gears in it

If you find a 4 cylinder it will have 4.10s then you just swap them in
Have done a few here at my place that way

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have to ask then it's best to take it somewhere. Proper gear install requires special tools, which cost about what you'd pay for a shop to do a gear change. I agree with Tom, find a 4 ****** donor and swap the whole assemblies out.

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have to ask then it's best to take it somewhere. Proper gear install requires special tools, which cost about what you'd pay for a shop to do a gear change.

this. i was going to do the swap myself, i had already bought the tools and a donor front axle (plan was to build the front axle and then just swap it when the time came to minimize the time the jeep would be out of commission). i brought it to a shop because the front cv axles were shot and i just said screw it and paid them to do all the work, (never had the time or space in the shop to do the job myself). the tools totaled out to like 1,700 (maybe more) and setup bearings would have been another 100 or 150. so my recommendation is to find a reputable shop to do the work for you.

Latest posts