Gates Serpentine Belt Wear Guide Tool 4 Free!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool... thanks!

Although the page states. "Gauge is available to residents of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia"

They still had the option of Country: Canada and State: Ontario available.

We'll see if I get it!

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neat website find.

Thanks

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No,the OEM serp belt for the KJ is a EPDM belt.

I bought a new belt for my KJ, pulled the old original stock belt off (mfd in 2004) and it looked freakin' brand new. So I left the old belt on and threw the new one in the tool kit I keep in my truck.

What do you make of that? The thing shows hardly any wear. Should I swap it anyway? it's got over 85,000 miles on it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new belt for my KJ, pulled the old original stock belt off (mfd in 2004) and it looked freakin' brand new. So I left the old belt on and threw the new one in the tool kit I keep in my truck.

What do you make of that? The thing shows hardly any wear. Should I swap it anyway? it's got over 85,000 miles on it.
EPDM belts are designed not to crack so the "old" way of determining if a serp belt is bad no longer applies to EPDM belts.The quickest and easiest way to tell if a EPDM belt needs to be replaced is to start the engine and from a side view look at the belt and pulley's.If the belt moves side to side,the smallest amount so look very closely,means the belt is worn and needs to be replaced.

The average life span of a EPDM belt is 60k-100k depending on application and geographical location(weather wise).The older Neoprene/poly serp belts have a average lifespan of 15k-30k.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks tj. I'll take a look. I checked the gap on the tensioner and it's not out of the .96" tolerance. So I'll look for lateral movement in the pulleys.