Gascap and Check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a week ago my wife called me to let me know that the check engine light was on in our 08 Liberty with 50K on it. I was pissed and asked if it was driving ok or if she noticed anything odd. She said the odometer said gascap. She tightened it to a few clicks and restarted. It still said gascap. When I got home I hooked up the trusty scan tool to it and came up with a code i dont remember but it was like evap pressure or something. I figured yeah that was it. Reset the codes. I looked through the manual for the jeep and it says it tests the gascap and if it is found faulty twice in a row it will put on the MIL. Well now that the MIL is reset and out we have been driving it and every time the jeep starts it says gascap, but no MIL. We have put like 200 miles on it and maybe 15 trips. I bought a gascap today and put it on and it still says gascap every time I start it. Anybody have anything similar or know where to start?

Vjesse

Reaction score
just disconect the negative or black cable of the battery for 30 sec that it

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just disconect the negative or black cable of the battery for 30 sec that it
Tried it and its back on now with the check engine light agian.

Time for a new battery. Mine did the same thing when it started going bad
I'm guessing This will be the root then. Here in Kansas we have been having 95+ degree weather I wonder if that is making it worse.

Shwanzig

Reaction score
Also when changing your battery don't forget to change your spark plugs too, they probably need to be changed as well.

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry everyone for the late reply, I have been traveling a lot recently for work.

Also when changing your battery don't forget to change your spark plugs too, they probably need to be changed as well.

Awesome reminder for everyone. I know we have a tendancy to forget to change them out. However, I changed them out when I bought the Jeep at 42k and she is just over 52k. I have plans on changing them next oil change.

I had a similiar issue with my 08 Liberty. It was the ESIM.

Were you able to get just the module or did you have to buy the entire canister and all? Was it cracked or did it show any visible signs that it was broke? I'd really hate to throw parts at it just to see if they stick. I assume that was a dealer only part?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Your check engine light is still on? I had this with my KJ this week, and it was a gas cap issue as well. Tightened it down, and let the jeep cycle on and off a few times... CEL eventually went away.

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your check engine light is still on? I had this with my KJ this week, and it was a gas cap issue as well. Tightened it down, and let the jeep cycle on and off a few times... CEL eventually went away.

Still on. I have bought 2 new caps. Always tighten to 2 or so clicks. I am thinking its the esim, does anyone know how to test or check it or should I just shell out some money and get one??
It started as just a gascap light, then went to mil codes 456 and 457 I think. I am checking all the hoses and they look good. I tried checking continuity on the esim and cant get any. I tried forcing it closed both directions and no continuity either.

Vjesse

Reaction score
Still on. I have bought 2 new caps. Always tighten to 2 or so clicks. I am thinking its the esim, does anyone know how to test or check it or should I just shell out some money and get one??
It started as just a gascap light, then went to mil codes 456 and 457 I think. I am checking all the hoses and they look good. I tried checking continuity on the esim and cant get any. I tried forcing it closed both directions and no continuity either.

wow thats crazy !!! sorry I dont kw what to tell you but let us kw when you fix it good luck

Life Liberty Happiness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have it fixed.:whip: I changed out the esim. Luckily the dealerships in the area had them in stock and after it and the gasket and tax it was less than 12 bucks to fix. It has been driven a few days and the computer reports that it has completed the full evap system tests!:happy107: Now to try to return the gascap I did not need. . .

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the 08, like the 02's? If so check your hoses. I posted the other day about it. Simple fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaryRosales

Reaction score
thnks for all the recomendations.. a I am a women and I am single¡¡¡¡ I have a one 07 liberty whit 77,000 km.. and I feel so bad when a see one messenger in the liberty.

A. Sandoval

Reaction score
About a week ago my wife called me to let me know that the check engine light was on in our 08 Liberty with 50K on it. I was pissed and asked if it was driving ok or if she noticed anything odd. She said the odometer said gascap. She tightened it to a few clicks and restarted. It still said gascap. When I got home I hooked up the trusty scan tool to it and came up with a code i dont remember but it was like evap pressure or something. I figured yeah that was it. Reset the codes. I looked through the manual for the jeep and it says it tests the gascap and if it is found faulty twice in a row it will put on the MIL. Well now that the MIL is reset and out we have been driving it and every time the jeep starts it says gascap, but no MIL. We have put like 200 miles on it and maybe 15 trips. I bought a gascap today and put it on and it still says gascap every time I start it. Anybody have anything similar or know where to start?

I had the same situation on our 2013 LIBERTY. Tried many time to resolve with no success. Check engine light and gascap warning returned every time. Finally, the battery was draining overnight, worked it out after a week. The positive top post connector was corroded and so I replaced it. Oddly enough, the check engine and gascap warnings did not return. My theory, the sensors work off of electrical signals and the low electricity to those sensors created a confusing error code problem

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.