Gas Light On! How far do you go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Once I got the EVIC screen to read 1 mile to empty. Most of the time I fill it up when it comes on....

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first bought my libby, I somehow had the number 16.5 gallon tanke. So when my fuel light went on, I would freak out, break into a cold sweat and drive to the nearest gas station. Then I found out the libby had 19 gallons in it, and the fuel light went on when there were four gallons left. I can't say how far exactly I've driven with the light on, but I'm pretty sure I've done around 20-30 miles of highway driving (on rare occasion)-- so I'd be getting 18.5 to 19mpg. At that mileage, theoretically you could go 75 or so miles (assuming 18mpg) before the engine would sputter out.

ranger81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas light? I guess we never let the tank get that low. The wifey gets nervous about running out of gas. :)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
64 kilometers/39.77 miles.
When I filled up this after noon I put in 64 liters/16.91 gallons [US, liquid]
14.81 gallons[UK]

So, based on my fill up today, that means that the actual fuel left over in the fuel tank when the "Low fuel" light comes on is closer to 4.5-5 U.S. Gallons reserve.
Either way, I don't usually run it until the "Low fuel" light comes on, I like keeping the tank topped up. You never know what might come up!

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
64 kilometers/39.77 miles.
When I filled up this after noon I put in 64 liters/16.91 gallons [US, liquid]
14.81 gallons[UK]

So, based on my fill up today, that means that the actual fuel left over in the fuel tank when the "Low fuel" light comes on is closer to 4.5-5 U.S. Gallons reserve.
Either way, I don't usually run it until the "Low fuel" light comes on, I like keeping the tank topped up. You never know what might come up!

The only reason I regularly run until the fuel light comes on is I'm pedantic about tracking my gas mileage. The more gas in a single tank I use, the more accurate the average. I do a calculation for almost every tank I've put in it since purchase.

jtp1661

Reaction score
I managed to make it a mile further down the road to the gas station with the EVIC reading 0 miles to empty. Still had a little left in it.
You must be registered for see images

hollysprings

Reaction score
Anybody know where the fuel pump is on the KJ? I just recently bought mine and so am still learning this stuff, but on the Jeep XJ model, the fuel pump is in the gas tank and it uses the gas to help keep it cool. Thus, while it's okay to run the gas low in the XJ on rare occasions, it's better to keep the pump fully submerged at all times. The fuel pump will last longer that way. For this reason, I try to fill up whenever I drop below 1/4 on the gage (which is actually a bit more than 1/4 in the tank).

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know where the fuel pump is on the KJ? I just recently bought mine and so am still learning this stuff, but on the Jeep XJ model, the fuel pump is in the gas tank and it uses the gas to help keep it cool. Thus, while it's okay to run the gas low in the XJ on rare occasions, it's better to keep the pump fully submerged at all times. The fuel pump will last longer that way. For this reason, I try to fill up whenever I drop below 1/4 on the gage (which is actually a bit more than 1/4 in the tank).

Its the same with the kj. Good thing is, if the light comes on you still have around 4 gallons left.

hollysprings

Reaction score
Its the same with the kj. Good thing is, if the light comes on you still have around 4 gallons left.

Are you sure about this? I looked it up in the FSM this afternoon and, although it's a little confusing in parts, it seems to be saying pretty clearly that it's on top of the gas tank now instead of inside at the bottom. BTW, mine is an 06 - maybe this has changed with the year models.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be much easier to service. At least you don't have to go inside the fuel tank any more. But you still have to drop the tank to get to it, and they've made the pump a non-separately-serviceable part of a module so I'm sure the part will cost way more, and it requires a special dealer tool for removal ("Lockring Remover/Installer 9340"), which you can bet doesn't come too cheaply.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gone 35 miles on the fuel light...probably could have squeaked a couple more out if I was really stupid. I'm getting about 13.5 MPG, so if I had 4 gallons left I could have gone quite a bit farther I guess...who knows.

Latest posts

Members online