Garage can't get code for diagnostics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frank4360

Reaction score
Hello

I have a 2003 Cherokee with 2.8 diesel engine that has done just over 200,000 kilometres (about 125,000 miles). I bought it in October 2016 and it has run fine for several thousand kilometres.

Recently it has become very difficult to start, and my local garage has identified that there is insufficient pressure when trying to start (sorry, not technical enough to provide more info).

The garage is not a Jeep garage (we live a long way from any town) and he has tried using the diagnostic connection in the Jeep, but he does not have, and cannot get, the code required to decipher the information.

Is this normal? Or has anyone any idea how to get the relevant code?

Sorry to be vague, but I am not technical!!

Thanks in advance.

Frank

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have an engine light on and need to get the codes, get in the jeep and shut the door. insert the key and without starting the vehicle:

turn it to the ACC position
then off
turn it to the ACC position
then off
turn it to the ACC positon and leave it, the P#### codes will display on the odometer

also: the fuel filter needs to be changed about every 40,000 kilometers or sooner depending on the quality of the fuel. there is also a primer(a pump button) and bleeder on the filter head. if for one reason or another there has been some air get into the system a general mechanic should be able to figure that out for you or, if you feel comfortable trying it yourself the CRD in this video should be set up fairly similar to yours. the fuel bleeding sequence starts at 10 minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNclI7S_TgE any idea when the last time the fuel filter was changed?

let us know if you're able to discover any codes, if they dont automatically chime in here, we'll get you in contact with some CRD Guru's to help sort things out if it ends up being something beyond the basics

Last edited:

frank4360

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply!!

I was interested that you mentioned the fuel filter, even though I had not referred to it.

When I first had a starting problem I went to prime the filter as I thought it might be a lack of fuel (the Jeep had not been used for some days). I found that the fuel filter had been by-passed completely, and a squeeze-bulb had been placed in the fuel line!! This must have been done by the previous owner, so I have no idea how long the Jeep had run without a fuel filter.

The local garage checked the filter (said that it was in fine shape) and re-connected it. This is the garage who can't run diagnostics for lack of code information.

Presumably you suspect the fuel filter may be implicated?

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually makes more sense , it sounds like the previous owner had bypassed the filter head assembly - more than likely that filter head assembly has a leak which is depriming the system, it's actually a known issue that was corrected at some point with a redesigned fuel filter head

"Replacement filter head, a new redesigned fuel filter head which is less prone to leaking and heater head failure was released by chrysler. If you think you need to replace your fuel filter then you should consider replacing this at the same time. The new head comes with a filter attached and is easy to install. You will need to replace the heater plug at the same time.
New Redesigned Fuel Filter Head - 68043089AA
Wiring Adapter Plug - 68043086AB
Fuel Filter Itself - 52129238AA (NAPA: FIL 3647, WIX: 33647)"

a pictoral writeup is found here LOST JEEPS • View topic - Finally replaced the Fuel Head

the video i linked earlier at 10 minutes shows the procedure for bleeding / priming if you need a refresher on that portion

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only other "related" issue i can think of that is common to that portion of the CRD fuel system is the addition of a cummins electronic in tank lift pump. since there's no electronic pump on the system the injection pump has to do all the work, some owners have gone the route of adding an electronic pump to assist in fuel delivery, but you want to make sure you have the updated filter head assembly first - which it sounds like the previous owner just bypassed the filter head when it started leaking rather than replacing it with the updated filter head

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Get rid of the squeeze bulb arrangement.

CRDs sold in the USA had a plastic fuel filter head which should be replaced with a metal fuel filter head, (Gen II).

European sold CRDs might have a different filter head, maybe a RACOR part. I don't know.

Find a good diesel shop and have them put a proper fuel filter set up in there and your problem may be solved.

frank4360

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their help!

I went to the garage (not a Jeep "concessionaire", but a very good and honest mechanic) and he explained his problem - I took a French friend in case my French was not good enough.

In Europe it was made illegal for manufacturers to withhold information in order to ensure that repairs could only be done by an authorised garage.

Unfortunately this only applied to cars manufactured after the law came into force, so my 2003 Jeep is not covered.

So the mechanic suggested that I took the car into the authorised Jeep agent to get it checked for the bad starting, for which they are obliged to give me a written quote for the repair. I can then take this quote to my mechanic so that he can determine what the Jeep diagnostics have shown.

I am not technical at all, but I will pass on all ideas to my garage.

JeepinJarhead03

if you have an engine light on and need to get the codes, .....

No light is on but I tried anyway, and, as expected, no code!

turblediesel.

Find a good diesel shop and have them put a proper fuel filter set up in there and your problem may be solved.
This has been done but still not starting properly.

Once again, thanks to everyone.

Frank

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By-passed filter and low pressure I would say it's going to be a very expensive fix as your most likely going to need a new high pressure pump and injectors along with a new filter setup(and/or new fuel lines).A $5000+ job in the US easily.

As far as retrieving codes by law they must make "generic" or "global" OBDII codes(and that list is actually pretty short) easily retrieved but manufacturer specific codes,"B","C",trans,and "U" codes are not part of that agreement.This also includes history and pending codes.