Fuel filter add on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After having a chinese fuel pump throw stuff into the injectors and mess them up, I realized the oversight of the 2005 system. In the injected planes that I work on for a day job, they use a fuel filter before and after the pumps in case the pumps eject debris. Thusly, I want to add a filter at the engine end before the rail. Does anyone know relevant part numbers or sizes to put it in the pre-rail quick disconnect hose area. Ideally I would replace the rubber line and put it in the joints. Barring that a chopped-in and hose clamped barb would be acceptable given the right size or part. Considering I have been trying to trace this issue for quite a while and narrowed into it now, I want to be done with it for good. Got the new Bosch injectors on the way and don't want to rebuy them. At least the wasted injectors are a 36 buck amazon set.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
After having a chinese fuel pump throw stuff into the injectors and mess them up, I realized the oversight of the 2005 system. In the injected planes that I work on for a day job, they use a fuel filter before and after the pumps in case the pumps eject debris. Thusly, I want to add a filter at the engine end before the rail. Does anyone know relevant part numbers or sizes to put it in the pre-rail quick disconnect hose area. Ideally I would replace the rubber line and put it in the joints. Barring that a chopped-in and hose clamped barb would be acceptable given the right size or part. Considering I have been trying to trace this issue for quite a while and narrowed into it now, I want to be done with it for good. Got the new Bosch injectors on the way and don't want to rebuy them. At least the wasted injectors are a 36 buck amazon set.
Export CRDs have a Racor fuel filter. " VWdiesel" on LOSTJEEPS sells a kit that adds a 2 micron filter leaving the oem fuel filter as a prefilter. It's diesels and gassers but maybe some of the bracketry will work. He used NAPA # 4770/Wix #24770 filter head and NAPA #3528/Wix #3528 filter.

Here's the thread on LOST.
"Adding secondary 2 micron fuel filter" Sept 6, 2014.

Attachments

• JeepFuelFilter001_zps47e54e4c.jpg
    JeepFuelFilter001_zps47e54e4c.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Filter-Kitw-Logos.jpg
    Filter-Kitw-Logos.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Unclebob9

Reaction score
When I bought my used 2006 CRD around 10 years ago, when I started researching my new toy, I was amazed *** many parts they removed from the original design to cut production costs. So, I started putting things back in. An in tank fuel pump is a huge plus. I believe I got one from a 04 Dodge diesel truck from a wrecking yard, it is a drop in unit that included the fuel gauge sensor. The wiring for it was installed from the factory and It was under the rug on the floor behind the drivers seat. I then found a Inseperator (I believe that is what they call it) which I mounted in the drivers side rear wheel well. This is like a pre filter, the fuel goes into it where it is spun around and any particles fall from the fuel into the bottom of the inspirator and you drain it off at oil changes. I have not had to replace my regular fuel filter in 7 or 8 years now, so it works pretty good.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a gasser or diesel? If it's petrol, cut the hose you mentioned and toss in an appropriately sized barbed filter. Be sure to use injector approved hose clamps

Attachments

• Clamp.jpg
    Clamp.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I swear by these:

Dorman 55241 Fuel Filter​

Been using them for years in my dual carb VWs. Washable element! (Use HEET or another methanol based solvent to clean them.)

Also check what’s coming out of the fuel tank. Since you have a replacement pump, sometimes stuff gets stirred up in the tank on high mileage vehicles. Thank the hygroscopic properties of ETOH!

Latest posts

Members online