Front windscreen wipers won't stop-Help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have posted this also on Lost KJ but not much of an answer, so I hope I can get a bit more help from here maybe:

Good Morning All,

We all love a good electrical problem, so here is one for you.

For the past couple of days my front windscreen wipers won't stop working. I have turned them off and on but they still keep going!! If I move the switch to full power they go faster and if I turn them off they just keep going, any idea what is wrong and what I need to change?

I need this fixed asap as I am going for my annual inspection in the next couple of days and that is going to be classified as a fail.

Progress so far in trying to find what is causing it:

Quick up date:
1) it's not stalk indicator as I swapped it out with another one that is new
2) relay are all good, swapped them around and added a new one just for good measure
3) swapped out wind screed wiper engine and it still plays up

Okay so some where I must have a bad earth!! any one know? Ideas how to track it down?

It did stop for a couple of days, then took the KJ to be washed and it all started up again...

Help please...

So not much progress has happened, still with the same problem. For now we have by passed it with a switch until my garage can book me in. Obviously, this isn't a solution and I can't be the only KJ in the world that has had this problem, so please where do we look next before they start taring the Jeep to find the problem and it costing me an absolute fortune.

Thank you

Fil.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to move your thread to the general section so more people see it! Saw your post on LOST...and I'm lost as to what's wrong!

Rsb563

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also just pull the fuse to stop it. It's shorted somewhere. I know that doesn't help. Could check to shop manual for wiring diagram also if you have some electrical aptitude to trace it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Pippobug has a KJ 2003 CRD 2.5L.
Anyone got the wiper wiring diagram for this Jeep?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea that's a weird one.
here's the best suggestion I can give you:
pull the Multifunction Switch harness connector (gray) and turn the ignition on.
if the wipers activate, you have a short in the harness someplace.
turn the ignition off, and plug the connector back in.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you still have your old multifunction switch?
Can you verify with a multimeter that it is not engaging the relay with the wiper mode off?

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you still have your old multifunction switch?
Can you verify with a multimeter that it is not engaging the relay with the wiper mode off?

Yes I have and we have checked it, it works fine the old mulifunction switch, I have also put a new one I had and that works fine and the problem persist.

The only thing I can say is that as you turn the switch to full power the windscreen blades go faster, you turn it off and it goes to normal speed, with the switch on intermittent and off it just carries on happily at normal speed.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
assuming you've eliminated hardware issues.

something is energizing the wiper on/off relay.
The way it works is the bcm controls the ground connection to that relay to energize it so check that line to make sure it is not shorted to ground.

Either that or the wiring between the multi function switch to the bcm has some issue.

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, sounds like that is the case, so we are now going to check the bcm in a weeks time and trying to find out where the problem is. I will post back once we have an answer

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's like the wiper motor on my RAM, which I'd suspect is similar - its your Park sensor on the motor. It doesn't know when it's in the park position, so it keeps trying to return to the park position - this manifsts itself as a windshield wiper that won't turn off as the assebly always has power so it can return to park.

I have to ask, does it (prior to you installing the cut-off switch) stop when you turn the key off? If it does, then I'm wrong and it's not your wiper motor brushes/park circuit.

Change the motor, or remove the motor and disassemble and thoroughly clean the actuator brushes

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read the FSM, the normally closed terminal of the wiper on/off relay is connected to the park sensor when it is de-energized. So if I understood it correctly, I dont think that is the sensor the issue since the issue is that it is always energized. ( i could be reading the FSM wrong)

OP: I assume you have access to the FSM.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - WIPER ON/OFF
RELAY
The wiper on/off relay (Fig. 30) is located in the
Power Distribution Center (PDC) in the engine compartment
near the battery. Refer to the appropriate
wiring information. The wiring information includes
wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair
procedures, details of wire harness routing and
retention, connector pin-out information and location
views for the various wire harness connectors, splices
and grounds.
(1) Remove the wiper on/off relay from the PDC.
(Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/WIPERS/WASHERS/
WIPER ON/OFF RELAY - REMOVAL).
(2) A relay in the de-energized position should
have continuity between terminals 87A and 30, and
no continuity between terminals 87 and 30. If OK, go
to Step 3. If not OK, replace the faulty relay.
(3) Resistance between terminals 85 and 86 (electromagnet)
should be 75 ± 8 ohms. If OK, go to Step
4. If not OK, replace the faulty relay.
(4) Connect a battery to terminals 85 and 86.
There should now be continuity between terminals
30 and 87, and no continuity between terminals 87A
and 30. If OK, reinstall the relay and use a DRBIIIt
scan tool to perform further testing. Refer to the
appropriate diagnostic information.

Last edited:

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have delay wipers?
If so, and you set them for mid delay, do you get a mid delay - if you set for a short delay do you get a short delay?

Or do they just keep going as if they were set on slow?

Latest posts

Members online