Front Upper Control Arm Ball Joint Grease

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought two new front upper control arms, and the ball joints have the grease nipples. I was so eager to try out my new grease gun, so I promptly filled both ball joints with some premium synthetic bearing grease.

I am just wondering, was this a dumb thing to do before installing the arms?
Does it really matter? I have never done this before...

I figured I would have easier access before the installation, could more easily make sure they were full, but now I am wondering if when installing they will just be squeezed empty from manipulating. Probably better it has some grease in there, rather than possibly forgetting to grease them and going on a test drive with them "dry" (factory had something in there, black stuff, not much of it.).

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think it would matter. If some squeezes out just squirt some more in when done. Like you said, better than forgetting all together.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the FSM recommends NLGI Grade 2 EP, GC-LB.

I also read that you don't want to mix grease that are made from a different base too.

Last edited:

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be under it's main brand:

CANADIAN TIRE CORP.
- MOTOMASTER FARM & TRUCK GREASE GC-LB
- MOTOMASTER SEMI-SYNTHETIC EXTREME PRESSURE GREASE GC-LB
- MOTOMASTER WHEEL BEARING & CHASSIS LUBE GC-LB

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You add grease till it starts to ooze out the boot, now it's fully loaded. You can't do it this way until the ball joint is installed and sandwiching the boot. Just add more grease once it's together. You didn't do anything "dumb" greasing it some beforehand, other than wasting time and grease if you lose any during the install.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those stock upper control arms?

I've never seen stock-style A-arms that were greasable - curious... :shrug:

Bob

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
IDK about the CanTire Syn stuff. Will it run when it gets wheel well temps/summer? Keep an eye on it.
I use Penzoil 707L for the JBA4.5's.
55975[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Now this stuff is great when it gets hot outside.
Sticks well and thick, super water resistant stuff. Available at Napa.

Attachments

• Penzoil707L.jpg
    Penzoil707L.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Keep an eye on it...

At the price of grease, I don't mind ditching the tube and replacing it if indeed the quality is low. I figured if it met the standards then it was good. How could I tell, would it be because it leaks from the seals?

I packed my wheel bearing on my camper last summer with some Canadian Tire wheel bearing grease. It sat in the sun and when I came back there was a small puddle of pink juice on the rim. I took it back apart just to be sure, and it still looked fine... is it normal to have some leaking, and at what point would you say "this needs replacing"?

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure grease leaking out into a puddle is a bad thing

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made it sound like a river, it wasn't quite that bad... but still made me wonder. That was not the same grease and I put now, but was probably the same manufacturer since I got both at Canadian Tire.

Takes no time to refill and squeeze out the old... might just do that.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The bearing seals on the camper are probably leaking.
Often you see grease splashed inside/outside the rim depending on which seal is failing.
Juicy puddle sounds like not the best grease, not able to maintain thickness when hot.
With zerk fittings, I always keep a grease gun around and give it a squeeze or two before summer trips, & more when I arrive.
I will only install more grease once the bearings have cooled down.
As far as the ball joint on control arms, as long as seals are good the grease should stay intact without major wet dripping of any kind.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bearing seals on the camper are probably leaking.
Often you see grease splashed inside/outside the rim depending on which seal is failing.

You are probably right. I checked the bearings on the camper, they were still is very good shape but I never paid attention to the seals. I think they sell the kit for each tire at around $30, probably worth while swapping everything out - $60 is far cheaper than a tow truck if something goes wrong.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think as long as it's a certified NLGI.
I'm not sue whether the canadian tire ones are grade 2 and EP though.