Front Sway Bar End Links

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to replace the end links on the front sway bar this weekend. I looked for a step by step here, on Lost, and various other sites but couldn't find one. I'll have access to a lift so I don't have to worry about jack stands this time. Anyone have a good run down of the whole process. I'm trying to eliminate a clunk noise on the front and the end links were the only component I didn't replace on the front when the lift was installed.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They must be torqued with the weight of the Jeep on the ground.

So if you install on the lift, don't torque 'em down until you have it back down on solid ground.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
To me they look just as simple as removing the two bolts. Since they need to be torqued on the ground, I bet if you turned the wheels maybe there's an easy way to get the top bolts with the wrench. Let me know how this goes, I'm curious! Thanks.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
It is actually easier to remove/install the lower bolt while it's on the ground, never tried the upper because I was always en route to complete dis-assembly of the front, but I'm sure if you turn the wheels there is plenty of room to get at the top bolt.
Super easy job.... maybe have an extension on hand to reach back in there (under the bumper) with your torque wrench after the wheels are back on (and it's on the ground) ;)

Good Luck!

EDIT : or as HJ just said ...lol "I bet if you turned the wheels maybe there's an easy way to get the top bolts with the wrench"

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, what LeeAnn, HJ, and Luke said.

No need to even jack it up. The bottom nut is a 15mm (the bolt is a flag bolt so the tab welded to the bolt prevents it from spinning), while the top bolt is 15mm and the nut is 18mm. Turning the wheel will give you plenty of room though I don't even do that to get to the bolts/nuts.

Word of advice: Use OEM sway bar links ONLY! The stuff from AutoZone, Pep Boys, Advance Auto, etc. is poor quality and won't solve the clunking noises. I thought there was no difference between the cheap stuff and factory till I nearly went crazy from the clunks even though I tightened the bleeping things multiple times. (HJ, remember me crawling under the Jeep at Windrock trying to tighten down the stupid things? I was getting bug-eyed even then and finally lost it while at TomMudd's house after installing the new front and rear diffs :boxed:)

Finally I just bought Mopar links from one of the online Chrysler parts depots and problem solved.

Lesson learned :manos:

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, we remember you tightening them! I thought that was something with the steering rack?

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the MOOG one's aren't a good choice either? If that's the case then I'll just get the Mopar ones then.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the MOOG one's aren't a good choice either? If that's the case then I'll just get the Mopar ones then.

Can't say that they're bad, it's just the frustrations I had dealing with the clunking that ended up being the links. After I installed the Mopar units it was nice and quiet again :waytogo:

Bob

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine with Raybestos this summer. Took 30 mins, very straightforward, quieted the clunking/screeching when going over speedbumps in the cold.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a clunking in my suspension after new tires alignment, and am trying to find out if it's the end links or ball joints. Happens at low speeds when turning the wheels to the left all the way, like when pulling into or coming out of a parking spot. Seems to be coming from the front right side of the Jeep.