Front shock/mount assembly question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my new bilstein shocks for the front state to put the included formed washers underneath and on top of the shock mount... Ok, but then my new shock mount also comes with a large, flat, black washer which I assume would go on top, under the nut to retain the whole thing.

Does one of the bilstein washers replace this large flat washer on assembly?

And do I discard the plastic friction washer that holds the dust boot down, allowing it to slide up and down freely?

Pictures upon request.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So my new bilstein shocks for the front state to put the included formed washers underneath and on top of the shock mount... Ok, but then my new shock mount also comes with a large, flat, black washer which I assume would go on top, under the nut to retain the whole thing.

Does one of the bilstein washers replace this large flat washer on assembly?

And do I discard the plastic friction washer that holds the dust boot down, allowing it to slide up and down freely?

Pictures upon request.

I think I know what you mean but send pic please :icon_razz:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I know what you mean but send pic please :icon_razz:

K. In these pics you can see that the new mount cane with a large flat washer. Unsure exactly if this gets used and where.

Bilstein says to place their two dished washers on either side of factory mount.

I haven’t taken my old ones out to see how they’re put together, and internet images aren’t particularly clear.

Also included is a pic of the plastic washer that holds the dust boot in place. Unsure of this gets removed to allow the boot to travel up and down the shaft.
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK I thought that was what you have but wanted to make sure
For the top washer you can use either the one that came with the bilsteins or the one that came with new mount. I usually use the black one ( one that came with new mount ) for the top one when I have it

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I thought that was what you have but wanted to make sure

For the top washer you can use either the one that came with the bilsteins or the one that came with new mount. I usually use the black one ( one that came with new mount ) for the top one when I have it

Great! That's what I thought. What about the plastic retaining washer for the dust boot? Toss it and let the boot move freely, or leave it in place to hold the boot at the bottom of the rod?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Great! That's what I thought. What about the plastic retaining washer for the dust boot? Toss it and let the boot move freely, or leave it in place to hold the boot at the bottom of the rod?

If you are going to run the dust boot use it, some don't use them as they will sometimes rub on the springs/shock when they get shoved over some .

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assembled and ready for install.

In case anyone is wonder, these coil springs are BEASTLY.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone else that comes by here, I'll always suggest no shock boot. Only reason is because one of mine went crooked and began rubbing the body and making lots of noise. It hasn't really bothered me since it started happening but I think the best way to avoid that happening is to remove the boot.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally feel in this location (so close to where a tire could throw all sorts of road debris) putting the boot on is important. On the rear, where the shaft is down and not in harm's way as much, I run no boots, mostly cuz they wouldn't stay on.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I run only the JBAs of course on mine, but everything front and rear is out in the open. Doesn't hurt a thing and mine is in mud/ dust daily

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There to have it. Different "strokes" for different folks... see what I did there?...

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone else that comes by here, I'll always suggest no shock boot. Only reason is because one of mine went crooked and began rubbing the body and making lots of noise. It hasn't really bothered me since it started happening but I think the best way to avoid that happening is to remove the boot.

The boot went crooked? Like the hole in the top went wonky and it slid sideways? Well.. if that happens, it happens.. maybe I could squeeze something in there to cut it off while assembled, if not, then I guess it'll have to come apart again.

I personally feel in this location (so close to where a tire could throw all sorts of road debris) putting the boot on is important. On the rear, where the shaft is down and not in harm's way as much, I run no boots, mostly cuz they wouldn't stay on.

That would be my thought as well, although I was/am not extremely worried about it. I'd rather have it than not, provided it doesn't interfere with anything.

My rear are the Monroe load levelers with the coil over springs on the shocks.. no boot included anyhow.

I run only the JBAs of course on mine, but everything front and rear is out in the open. Doesn't hurt a thing and mine is in mud/ dust daily

Yeah, I don't hear or see of many (any) cases where dirt and debris have damaged the shocks, front or rear.

Latest posts

Members online